Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Would you rather have lived in the Middle Ages or in Ancient Rome/Greece?

Middle Ages.  I would like to see Canterbury Cathedral being built.  

Hellenistic Alexandreia, Egypt for sure. Probably the highest standard of living for the mass of society in all of history aside from modern times.

• F

I think I would have been a good Roman. 

None really.

Maybe  it would have been best living in the early reign of the 5 good emperors in Rome (living in Alexandria or Antioch), e.g. under Trajan and Hadrian or

regarding the Middle Ages, in the late 15th century, especially when living in bigger cities like Florence, Cologne, Venice, Paris, Nuremberg, Bremen, Antwerp or London.

And only if I were born into a free, well-off family (not necessarily Kings, Emperors or warriors).

But I prefer living from the mid-20th century onward or having lived in the era between 1870-1913.

My Latin is not much worse than my Middle English, but both are far better than my Ancient Greek.  So if found in either era, how do I communicate?  I could convincingly beg for water in Rome {"Aqua! In nomine dei, aqua!"), and would probably be burned as some sort of demon in the Middle Ages.  Heck of a choice.

If you could provide knowledge of the languages before sending me back, Ancient Greece around the time of either Eratosthenes or Hipparchus would be fun.

I wouldn't want to live in the Middle Ages period, unless I was a member of the royalty... but I wouldn't want that either.

chat violation reported

WHERE in the middle ages?  Europe?  HELL NO!  But around that time, life in China and Islamic areas was pretty good.

But honestly, right now is the best time to be alive.

• ?

Middle Ages. I would rather continue to wonder what life was like in Ancient Greece than witness. I mean I have a pretty good idea, very boring, but it's more interesting to wonder than to witness it in person. 

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to live any time before showers became more efficient. Can you imagine how awful rooms and people smelled back then when soap hadn't been invented yet and showers were merely a bucket of water. 

Ancient Rome if I could be King.