Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 5
? asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

how do you deal with people who THINK they are better than you?

i've encountered these types a lot in life, and i felt very angry by their presence, their self importance, and i have felt often like having violent outbursts at them....but i know that you cannot do that in a civilized society.....i absolute hate anyone who dares to look down their nose at me and thinks they are better than me....in my opinion, they need an attitude adjustment.

how do you deal with these types who think they are better than you or above you? without using aggression?

i'm a male aged 43, from uk.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you have genuine self-esteem and decent self-respect then you will be confident and assertive dealing with  stuck-up pretentious snobs in society.

Just remember that those who believe they are better than you are already beneath you.

Source(s): The Six Pillars Of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Branden.
  • 1 month ago

After 75 years I ignore them.  They need to act superior because they feel so inferior.

• OTTO
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Be a mirror that reflects back to them the attitude they project onto you. 

• Frank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'd feel sorry for them because they are full of conceit and are unlikely to have many TRUE friends.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Stay humble. Be honest with yourself about why you feel that way about them. Set your ego aside and watch this video.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

Just let them think what they want.  What they think has no bearing to my life.  Their thoughts, opinions, ideas are usually self centered & it don't hurt me for them to think they are better than me.  But if given the opportunity I find a way to get under their skin.  Sometimes a single word is all that is needed to back them up a tad.

• 1 month ago

You should do a better job avoiding people you don't like, that way when you have to deal with them, you won't be so riled up. You can just remind yourself that you're dealing with a jerk and move on. 

• 1 month ago

It's important to consider that people have a right to dislike us, even for stupid reasons. When someone does something to show he's better than me, I tend to dismiss this as a sense of inferiority but then again, maybe he is better than me. If so, more power to him.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.