Mo asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Why do I feel like I’m not all the way there?

Sometimes when I go out with my boyfriend or just with friends in general, we hang out with other people or their friends and I kind of feel like I’m just not all the way there. I don’t know how to explain. Everyone else will be socializing and I kinda just become super self aware and I block everything out except for what I’m thinking. It’s like it almost doesn’t feel real but I know that it is. It seems to be when I’m somewhere where I’m

not completely completely comfortable. Is it an anxiety thing? I have a generalized anxiety disorder and rarely get panic attacks.

It sounds a bit like derealization, which is sometimes an anxiety symptom. It's hard to say, because when people have this problem they usually describe as very troubling, a sense that they are in a dream although they know they are not. If your doctor or therapist confirms that you're having derealization, I'll mention that a simple self-help approach can be helpful. The Psychology Today article mentions grounding exercises, which brings up the interesting topic of mindfulness meditation. Some people say that they've had very good results with mindfulness for derealization but others say their results were disappointing. I'll give you some examples of grounding exercises.

1) Eat a handful of raisins or nuts very slowly, appreciating every piece, taking a long time to finish them, being aware of your slow breathing.2) Wash and dry the dishes very carefully, focusing on what you're doing, the feelings in your hands and the sound of the water.3) Examine objects. Pick up a a few objects, name them, feel them and carefully inspect them.4) Count things. 5) Breathing slowly though your nose, be aware of bodily sensations - the air passing through your nostrils, the feeling of your clothing on your skin, the pressure of the floor on the soles of your feet. Look around at the room, aware of the present moment, the here and now.

Again, the best thing is probably to talk with a mental health professional about this. I'll show you an answer is which I mention a variety of things for anxiety -https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

It sounds like derealisation and/or depersonalisation which are caused by anxiety.