Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 1 month ago

Why dont Nintendo and other companies just release their entire library of retro games for digital purchases?

I love my Nintendo Switch, and the modern games. 

I also love retro gaming. I have an NES, SNES, N64 and a Gameboy and Gamecube.

But it would be nice to put those old consoles and games somewhere that it doesnt take up so much space and just have my switch and switch games/controllers by up to my TV.

It would be cool to play Gameboy games like Pokemon Yellow on an 85 inch screen with a wireless controller.

Plus it makes sense from their end too.

Nintendo isnt making any money off of the secondary market of retro games.

Why not just make all those games for all those consoles for sale on the EStore, instead of just the very few that they have.

Then they can start selling people those games again, instead of just making money for a year after release. Plus they dont even have to manufacture anything to sell it.

• ?

they do you dummy .

To put it very bluntly...  COPYRIGHTS

While copyright laws (& terms) can vary around the world; in the US, corporate copyrights last UP TO A MAXIMUM OF 95 years from first publication OR 120 years from first inception, whatever ends first.  In addition, these copyrights (& IP) can be bought & sold like any other commercial asset...  so when a publisher goes under, other companies can buy those assets, which makes some things like remastering a game or creating an official sequel a bit tricky.

Because of these lengthy copyrights, companies like Nintendo can sit on their assets for however they like & there's very little we can do about it.  Using Mach Rider as an example (which is owned by Nintendo, which a toy was made in 1972 & a game was released on the NES in 1986 in the US), it was re-released on Virtual Console in 2007 for Wii, 2013 on 3DS & 2014 on Wii U.  Nintendo could choose to re-release the game on the Switch via the NES Online service or if somebody within the company was courageous & creative, they could make a sequel or attempt a complete reboot.

Then there's the issue with licensing...  3rd party developers & publishers own the copyrights for their own games.  If you want it on a specific platform, you have to go through legal channels to get a license to use said game's assets.  For example, with The Disney Afternoon Collection on PC, XBox One & PS4...  which includes 6 NES Disney games, which was developed by Digital Eclipse & Capcom, who also published the game.  Since Capcom owns the original game copyrights, there's no issues with licensing that asset.  HOWEVER, since these are based on Disney IP's (Ducktales, Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck & Tailspin)...  they had to get a license from Disney & buy the rights to use their assets for these games.  Disney could have killed the potential development & release of the game by either being unreasonable with their licensing fees (making it too expensive for Capcom to make any profit) OR outright rejecting their request.

The same goes the other way...  if a publisher wants to make a game on the Nintendo Switch (for example), they have to pay Nintendo a licensing fee to develop on their platform (which include access to the Switch SDK & the necessary pre-release QA reviews) that adds to the development costs.

As a result, there's not going to be any legal options to get access to all the games in the past on a single platform (in this case PC's w/ MAME or RetroArch).

Nintendo wants 'control' of all their games, new and old.  This equates to very strict DRM, limited releases, and in some cases NO re-releases.  I disagree with this strategy, but then I'm not even close to being a game developer.

The sad truth is that Nintendo is actually an enormous bully. They get off on making their games difficult to access. It's kind of like holding a piece of meat in front of a dog, then pulling it away at the last moment when the dog tries to bite it. That's Nintendo, feeding on your misery. 

Shutting down romsites? Removing music from Youtube? killing fan-projects? that's Nintendo kicking fans when they're down. The simple conclusion you can draw from this, is that Nintendo is a bully who will stop at nothing to make people suffer.

You can fight back by putting together a Raspberry Pi with all your favorite Nintendo classics

I agree with you, but they seem to have a very Disney vault mentality when it comes to some of this stuff. They just released a few things for 4 months and then stopped selling them and it seems like they want to keep doing things like that because they believe it makes more money that way. I feel like it doesn't but maybe I'm wrong, its a bummer for people who just want to play the games but miss a small window tho. Hopefully everything will be available in a few years but unless Nintendo changes owners I doubt it will. 

supposed to be asking "questions", but it seems you think you have all the "answers", and that we would like to know all your bs, well why don't you tell nintendo that, and run the company for them, seen as you obviously know better