Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Does it make sense financially to stay at home especially if you get along fine with your parents?

I'm 30, female and I stay at home with my parents. I don't imagine moving out, and I know in some cultures they don't move out until they get married. I pay my own bills. 

I think saving is better. I know someone who had her own place, and bragged about being an "independent woman." But she would get so lonely. 

I'm not sure I could stay till I get married, but if something like that did happen, I would love to share what I saved with my future husband so we can get a place. 

it's your life. why should you feel bad?  also you shouldn't downgrade another woman for an independent lifestyle that's her life as well. If you want to live with your parents till you get married. Awesome do you esp when they're getting older. You can cherish this memories with them. nothing is wrong with that. Stay as long as your parents are willing to keep you. 

It makes perfect sense, if my parents were still alive I would want to live with them because I miss them 

Stay until you have a down payment so when you do move out it's into something you're buying and building equity in (instead of just throwing money away on rent). Then once you've got that you'll either to need to marry someone who also owns real estate or get a prenuptial agreement so you can retain your premarital property even in the case of a divorce. 

Yes it makes perfect sense

Yes, I'm in my mid 40's and live with my mother we spilt everything. She is more of a roommate at times.

I lived on my own a few years back and found it totally depressing and lonely.

I don't think that there is anyone wrong with living at home. Especially these days

Well, sure, it makes sense as far as you take it.  In fact, I have an aunt in her late 60s who lived like this until both parents died (one recently).  

But there are other components besides money.  For most of us, the desire for freedom and independence kicks in and then gets stronger.  I was more than ready at 22 when I graduated college and moved away with my college roomie.  I mention this because, just keeping it real, there IS a stigma attached to this.  It's not that you're living with them now; it's that you've never lived on your own and proven you can even do it.  Paying your own bills sure doesn't prove this.  It doesn't mean you'll never find someone, but it does mean you might "scare" some people off.  

I'm not trying to talk you into anything, but you imply in here that people who want freedom are lonely.  This is silly.  I finally got my own place at 25 and had a blast with my neighbors in the complex.  I still saw my other friends.  But I'll never forget the excitement when I got to make every decision about my apt, from decorating to pets to you name it.  If my kitty liked going on the counters, there was nobody telling me not to do this.  If I wanted plants everywhere I got them.  etc etc etc

• donnie

I suppose if your parents let you and you help out it is alright. But I mean you're 30

I PURCHASED my first home when I was 20.  Maybe "she" would get lonely.  I did not.  I worked, I had a social life, I visited with my parents.  I can't imagine dating and living with Mom and Dad at age 30.

• edward

I had a house with my sister when i was 18.  It has been 8 years and i still live in the same house with my family (wife and kids) and my sister moved away.  I have no issues about someone living with parents, m grandparents lived with us till they passed away.  No problems.  I am a firm believer of taking care of parents when they get old

It makes perfect financial sense to stay at home if you are welcome to be there.  That being said, doing so may effect other parts of your life.  For example your professional life may be impeded if prospective employers know you don't know financial independence yet.  It suggests a lack of personal responsibility.  Socially, it can be a hurdle too.  Thus it is more about your personal priorities than logic.