Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

What do these marks on my eyeglass lenses mean?

I just picked up some new glasses today. They are progressives. I had lasik so there is no rx for distance. I noticed in bright light there is an a and 164 west etched on the lenses. It’s not super noticeable but when I held them up in sunlight I could see them. I have never noticed that in other glasses before. The last ones were Oakley lenses and had the Oakley symbol etched on it.

Also they’re supposed to have the blue light blocking lenses but I can’t tell if they do and don’t see a difference. 

These marks identify the brand of progressive, the add power and some marks to show where the progression begins. The marks allow the optician to make sure that the correct point centers up with your eye. Other marks will tell the next person that you buy glasses what kind you had. Different progressives work best for different people so it might be useful information. These marks vary in how easy they are to see. Some are so easy to see that the patient complains about them. Some are so hard to see that I can't find them even with a special tool. Every progressive lens has them. I do not think that it is fair to ask for your lenses to be remade because of them.

• PR

Take them back to the maker and tell them the markings are in the way of your vision.

Probably a maker's mark.  I had glasses with a pentagon etched on the lens.  It's really stupid of lens manufacturers to put graffiti on the part of the lens that you're trying to see through.