Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Why do I find driving so difficult? Any tips?

I’m 18 and went driving with my dad for the first time yesterday. I don’t know what it is but I find it so difficult. Turning is really hard for me as I have a hard time knowing where my car is and how much I’m actually turning. I also got told that I hug the right side a lot but to me I feel like I’m way over the left line 90% of the time. Does anyone have any tips on learning?

Are the ash trays full? Yes, of course, sell the junk & buy a new car.

Whenever you can, stop the car on the road as you drive(so that means a dead street with no one following behind you) get out of the car and walk about 10 feet in front of the car and look as to it position on the road.  How much room there is on either side. (this look should only take you about 10 seconds) run back into the car and continue the drive.

. I had to drive in a country where the driving is on the OPPOSITE side of the road.  To get used to that, I SAT CLOSE TO THE DRIVER'S DOOR "as I knew where the driver's tire was near the painted line on the road" and managed that way.    This left much room for cyclists on the road shoulder & parked cars...and yet I was not driving ON TOP of the line.

. For you, hugging the right means death to cyclists and pedestrians walking as you pick them off. You don't want to do that.

You won't pass driving that way.

You want to position the driver's tire to the left of the grease patch on the highway.  All cars drip oil and that essentially is what it is.  You want your tires in where the tires go.

Parallel parking is going to be one of those things you get out of the car a few times to figure out where the hell you are and jump back in to continue to park.  Some cars fit easy and others leave you wondering.   I used to hit cups or beer cans left on the road just to see if I could run over them(so I know where the tires are)  Practice makes perfect.

The best tip I can give you is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.  After a while it will become more apparent where you are in relation to your road and your vehicle. It just takes TIME. Everyone feels the way you do at first. This gets better the more you do it. Drive in places where you are less likely to hit things, or become involved in heavy traffic. Stay off of busy roads for a while until you actually get used to the way it feels in a car. Do as much as possible to get that practice. 

Also--line up the SIDE of your car with the road lines--and the boundaries. USE your side mirrors to check it. Your car has a pretty straight edge on the side--use that to orient yourself. 

Some cars are EASSIER to drive than others! EVERYONE loved to drive my older BENZ C280.  It had GREAT VISIBILITY and very TIGHT steering that makes ALL the difference! MOST cars have SLOPPY steering and BAD visibility like the GOD AWFUL CAMARO lines!>>try raising your seat UP ur use a PILLOW to get a bit HIGHER inside! VISIBILITY is EVERYTHING! I use to get ANGRY seeing young BLACK MEN driving with the SEAT nearly all the way RECLINED! They were ACCIDEENTS read to HAPPEN! If you cannot SEE< you should NOT drive the thing! CAMAORS almost ALWAYS land in a DITCH somewhere! The REST is CONFIDENC you will develop in time as WELL! You cannot drive for the FIRST TIME for TEN minutes and MASTER the FEELING of it! You need LOTS of practice, especially in PARKING and learning to LOOK over your shoulder etc! HOW to make LEFT TURNS may be difficult at FIRST! But the CAR you drive is the MOST important thing! I LOVE BMW, AUDI< BENZ and FORD cars the MOST! The STEERIGN is CONSTANT and the FEEL o the road is GOOD FEEDBACK! LIST the car type and I can tell you MORE about it! BYE NOW!I used my BENZ tro give DRIVING LESSONS and everyone had an EASY TIME of PARKING and getting around those testy CONES with GRACE! 

It took you almost TWO YEARS to walk and you expect to learn how to drive in a few minutes.

Simple tip LIFT YOUR EYES and look where you want to go not at the end of your hood. A few seconds ahead.

This is like when you walk you might watch where your next footstep goes but when you run you are looking a few steps ahead.

Going over the "line" look in the middle of the lane ahead of you not to one side or the other.

You do not learn this in a few minutes. MOST parents are a little nervous teaching their child and some just are not very good at it.

Most driver education classes are twenty hours or more behind the wheel and YOU expect to learn this your first few minutes. NOT HOW IT WORKS.

Practice more and then practice some more until you get it.

Good Luck Tens of thousands of miles of road to explore.  You have just done a mile or two.

TIP number two RELAX keep calm and LEARN as you practice

You did not learn to sink a basket the first time you held a basketball. You did not learn baseball the first time you wore a glove. IT TAKES TIME.

A key part of driving and making accurate turns is to look well ahead on the road and look towards the point of the road where you intend to get to, say, 200 meters ahead.

That way, while you look at the point in the road where the turn ends, you will more naturally steer the car towards that point.

• F

Everyone drives too close to the centre of the road when they first start. As a rough guide , if you’re in a normal car the centre of the front of the car should be in line with the edge of the road or lane.

You will get used to it, the most important think is to concentrate on the driving and nothing else ( mobile, music, passengers etc).

Watch the wear marks from tires on the road. If you drive down the drivers side tire wear mark you're centered in your lane. Just practice and it eventually comes to you when you turn or parallel park

You need "hours on the wheel".  Keep practicing and follow what your instructor is telling you to do.

• Rick B

Keep practicing.  You probably should have started about 5 years ago.  Don't look right in front of the vehicle, look out in the distance.