Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Dad can never be wrong and angry when I say he's hurt me?

So,.I've tried so hard to be nice for years (in my thirties) but my dad has picked holes in my looks, my clothes, my personality, and has constantly brought up moments from the past when I've done something mildly wrong. He's never apologized for a thing even when I say he's hurt me, and when I finally told everything I'm feeling, he absolutely blew at me and demeaned me. Why get angry? Why not talk? Why can't he ever admit he's wrong about something and apologize?

Why you asking us?  Why aren't you asking dad?  Only he can answer this and, truth be known, he probably can't explain why he's been so mean either.  Parent-child issues like you describe are typically indications of deep psychological issues.

You and dad need professional help.

He must have had it tough as a child.

It is a little late to do anything about it.

• OTTO

Probably because his own dad treated him like that.

i would just stay away from him if hes going to be like that

cause he dont want to apologize , and if youre living with him move out

• Kate

Some people just aren't kind and it sounds like your dad is one of them. If he's been like this your entire life, don't expect him to change, apologize or start being nice because it won't happen. Not unless he has an epiphany but don't wait for it.

Personally, when someone treats me with disrespect, I interact with them as little as possible. When they notice and ask about it I am honest. I tell them I don't take abuse, physical or verbal, so if they're going to give it to me I'm not going to come around very often. It's worked with my mom, she's much nicer but to be fair, I have lost a friend or two over my honesty. I found I don't miss them!