Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Anxiety about having to work for 40 years?

I am 23, Lately I have been having almost crippling anxiety at the thought of having to go to work for the next 40 years. I work full time now and have done so since I was 18. I had the same problem thinking about going to school for so long. I take zoloft and have been for years but am going to ask my doctor about changing it. Is this normal? I am obsessively thinking about a meeting I have Monday with a co worker I hate to the point where I just want to go into a coma. I have been working from home since covid started and I think that is adding to it. I am scared it is going to get so bad that I will not be able to function and will lose my job. 

To those ragging on me, if you actually read the full description you would see that I DO work full time and have done so since I was 18. The mere fact that you suggest I off myself makes you the 'sad sack'.

• Favourite answer

Apply for benefits then, take a leaf out of LAN's book. You can be almost sure that he has never worked a day in his life, since all he does is insult people on Yahoo Answers all day, every day. Plus he always checks to see if you have given him a reaction, which also proves that can't be concentrating in the office for very long - which would normally lead to getting fired anyway.😆

Just try to take one day at a time. I hope you can go into a field that you enjoy, or at least don't hate so much. 

Forty years, that is nothing for many people! I am in my late 40s and I have been working to over 30 years! I would like to retire by the time I am 65 to 67 but will likely have to work beyond that because of the cost of living! That means that I will be working a minimum of 50 plus years! It sucks but it has to be done! I have dealt with a lot of idiots and will have many more to deal with as so dose everyone else! You just need to deal with it and go to work like most others ! It bothers me that I worked hard all of my life and continue to get screwed! But that's life DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a meeting on Monday with a coworker whom you hate.

Here is a little self help exercise:  On a piece of paper, write down EVERY REASON why you hate this coworker.  Be as honest as you can.

Then, sit back and close your eyes and envision this meeting with YOU TAKING CONTROL every time this coworker is inappropriate.  Imagine how you would point out what they are doing wrong and why it is wrong.  Keep control and keep moving the coworker BACK TO THE SUBJECT OF THE MEETING.

Imagine that this coworker develops a new respect for you and your ability to handle problems.

• garry

why , you have retirement if you can afford it , have screaming obnoxious grand kids and your kids waiting for there part of the inheritance , old age diseases as arthritis and becoming senile and ending up in a nursing home to die . with the bill to bury you and nursing home costs .

• Tavy

I worked for 50 years in the U.K. and changed my job many times.

It's boring staying home with no money.

• LAN

Remember when kids weren't fragile and easily broken by what is expected of being an adult?  Grow up and stop begging for attention.  If you can't do the minimum that should be expected of a functional adult just check out and leave the world for those who can actually operate in it.  You are a sad sack and a loser by your own choice.

No you are still the same sack because you are the one whining about not being able to cope with just being an adult.   Stop projecting you being a loser on others retard

it goes quick . 

don't we all     it will probably be 50 years the way it is looking

It's WAY past your time to become an adult and full time contributing member of society...