Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 month ago

Is it normal to dislike Phil Collins and like one of his songs?

Update:

conley39, are you a Yank?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Oh, thank you! I extremely dislike him. I really, really dislike him. But that drumming in that yellow night song, I think it's good. 

• 1 month ago

It's very common to like an artist, but not everything they do,  and vice versa......maybe you generally don't like them , but can admit they had 1 or 2 good songs. 

I'm one of the biggest Billy Joel fans around,  but I hated his 52nd album.........even though it was one of his most commerically successful ones. 

I thought most of it was top 40 crap. 

It couldn't hold a candle to his earlier work, and then again, some of his later work,  when he mellowed back down again. 

• 1 month ago

You don't have to like a singer to enjoy their music.  

• 1 month ago

Yeah, many people prefer his stuff with Genesis. (Some people even like the Peter Gabriel-led era of the band, when Collins was the drummer)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's very normal, especially with artists on Phil's level.

Phil Collins has been doing it a long long time, and he's gone in a whole lot of different directions with his music.  It's almost impossible to not like at least one of his songs.

That's bound to happen when an artist has written that many songs over such a long time.  You may not be a fan, but eventually you'll find at least one song from them that you like.  Other artists on that level include Dolly Parton, U2, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Jon Bon Salami, Ozzy and Madonna just to name a few.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sure.  I don't like the Grateful Dead but I like their song Shakedown Street

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Of course it's normal if you've like him!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sure. I like a few of his songs, but I’ve never liked his voice.

• 1 month ago

Phil Collins was at his best when he was with PRE1980's Genesis.  His solo stuff is crap.   I mean, one expects a LOT better quality music from someone who had a hand in writing the timeless epic song Supper's Ready. His solo career is a HUGE disappointment........I guess because he doesn't have Steve Hackett in his band.....

• Nick
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

That is very normal with Phil Collins, his career as a whole is spotty at best, but there is no denying the occasional highlight.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.