Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 month ago

Is it normal to dislike Phil Collins and like one of his songs?

conley39, are you a Yank?

Oh, thank you! I extremely dislike him. I really, really dislike him. But that drumming in that yellow night song, I think it's good. 

It's very common to like an artist, but not everything they do,  and vice versa......maybe you generally don't like them , but can admit they had 1 or 2 good songs. 

I'm one of the biggest Billy Joel fans around,  but I hated his 52nd album.........even though it was one of his most commerically successful ones. 

I thought most of it was top 40 crap. 

It couldn't hold a candle to his earlier work, and then again, some of his later work,  when he mellowed back down again. 

You don't have to like a singer to enjoy their music.  

Yeah, many people prefer his stuff with Genesis. (Some people even like the Peter Gabriel-led era of the band, when Collins was the drummer)

It's very normal, especially with artists on Phil's level.

Phil Collins has been doing it a long long time, and he's gone in a whole lot of different directions with his music.  It's almost impossible to not like at least one of his songs.

That's bound to happen when an artist has written that many songs over such a long time.  You may not be a fan, but eventually you'll find at least one song from them that you like.  Other artists on that level include Dolly Parton, U2, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Jon Bon Salami, Ozzy and Madonna just to name a few.

• ?

Sure.  I don't like the Grateful Dead but I like their song Shakedown Street

• ?

Of course it's normal if you've like him!

Sure. I like a few of his songs, but I’ve never liked his voice.

Phil Collins was at his best when he was with PRE1980's Genesis.  His solo stuff is crap.   I mean, one expects a LOT better quality music from someone who had a hand in writing the timeless epic song Supper's Ready. His solo career is a HUGE disappointment........I guess because he doesn't have Steve Hackett in his band.....

• Nick

That is very normal with Phil Collins, his career as a whole is spotty at best, but there is no denying the occasional highlight.