Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

Guinea pig blood from urethra ?

My guinea pig was bleeding from her urethra about two weeks ago, I took her to the vet and she was treated for a UTI with an anti inflammatory and antibiotic for 10 days. She stopped bleeding for those 10 days and now she began bleeding again. Does she need another round of meds or is it something else?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Likely she has bladder crystals.  This, as well as the UTI itself, can usually be dealt with without antibiotic.  The thing is to give the piggie 50mg of Ascorbic Acid.  You can buy it in soluble form and mix it with water/juice, or even buy it in liquid form.  Maybe sweeten it to help it go down, because it is sour.  

To cure a UTI, five days will do it. But if it has bladder crystals, it will take longer, and I can't predict how long.  The Ascorbic acid is the acidic form of Vitamin C, and the excess is excreted in the urine, so it stops the bacteria and it gradually dissolves the crystals. If the piggie gets diarrhea, give a little less.  You can give more as long as it isn't causing diarrhea.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.