Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How to get confidence in driving again?

I'm 21 and I got a permit when I was 16. I understand enough about traffic laws to pass the test I did it in one try. But the thing is I let that pretty much expire and I never got my license. Anyway I had quite some experiences while driving. I had someone actually try to attempt insurance fraud on me by preforming a panic stop in front of me. I stopped in time but it really was a painful stop. I know whoever it was they were being an idiot and most people don't do that kind of stuff. But that changed me quite a lot having someone do something like that with me. Seriously I don't respect people that even try to commit insurance fraud I have a big hate for them.

If you are a good driver and someone deliberately stopped in front of your vehicle then you can seek legal advice. Never admit it was your fault either.

I was a heavy vehicle driver when I was a young adult and I would get idiots playing chicken and slamming their breaks in front of me. This never bothered me because of my skilled driving and the fact that my truck had bull bars. 

I drove for over twenty years in the Sydney metro area and never had a serious or major accident. 

• ?

just think how cool you look with sunglass on , with a chick nest to you , or how cool your car look with you behind  the wheel . thats a good confidence builder .

I sent my daughters to Bounderant school of high performance driving, to learn to drive. A GOOD driving school will teach you how to handle virtually all situations with confidence and competence. It costs a few bucks, but it's worth it. My four daughters never got tickets, or damaged a car. Additionally they are qualified for club racing and rally. Go to school, lose the bad habits and phobias. Learn to do it right.

You need to think ahead.

It seems hard but you will get it.

There are quite a few idiots on the roads these days.  Just make sure you are following all the laws  & drive safely.  Keep your distance from other cars so this doesn't happen again.

I have slammed on the brakes when someone is following to closely, never caused an accident but drivers are rude, crude & mean.  Road rage is common.  If you really want to drive, you will gain confidence as you continue to drive.  You may be one that has low self esteem & need to build confidence on several other things.  The more you drive the more confidence you will gain.  Practice makes perfect.  Don't give up.

The basic rules of driving safely are simple. Stay as far from other cars as you can. Be super careful when CHANGING LANES and at intersections - ALL intersections. If there's a busy intersection with no light, be super cautious, willing to let the other driver go first if there's any doubt about right of way and entering the intersection cautiously. Of course, you want to follow all the speed limits. The great majority of accidents happen at night, so if you lack experience, stay off the road at night.

There's loads of evidence from laboratory and clinical studies that breathing slowly is the best way to remain calm. Details in my answers, along with other stress management advice. Two psychiatrists recommend breathing gently, in and out 6 seconds each.