blank
blank asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

What is the best way to cut and peel an onion when I can barely open my eyes?

I know a stupid question. I was wondering if there are  any techniques.

It is hard for me because when I slice one my eyes end up so watery it is hard for me to see.It gets to the point where I can barely  open my eyes.But I do love to cook with onion.Sometimes their is no body around to do it for me.

• ?

1.)  Remove Onion Peel

2.)  WITH A SHARP knife, Cut the onion in half and immediately put both cut sides down on the cutting board.

3.)  Cut, slice or dice one onion half at a time and  immediately place cut onions in a pan or the recipe.

This way, you are not as exposed to the onion mist that effects your eyes.

Wear swimming goggles

• ?

Cut onions in cold water. Cut the root last—it has a higher concentration of enzymes. Chill or freeze onions to minimize the amount of gas released into the air. Light a match before you peel or slice the onion.

I heard that if you burns a candle, it helps. 

When I wear contact lenses when cutting onions, I have no pain, no tears at all.

• denise

Try peeling the onions under running water, A processor / magimix, have slicing / chopping options to save your discomfort, Sometimes wearing glasses can shield your eyes partly, maybe you could wear goggles?

• ?

best way , cut the ends of , then in halve then peel .

What works the best for me is to cut off the top, cut a ring around the bottom, BUT Do NOT CUT THROUGH THE WHOLE BOTTOM, make a slit down the side so that you can remove the outer layer (paper as my Nan used to call it), then cut down the center from the top to nearly the bottom, turn 90 degrees and make another cut the same way, turn the onion on its side and slice off slices so that you are creating quartered onion rings. Once you get to the bottom, toss the root end. For me, if I don't cut the root end at all, the onion will be less likely to burn, as most of the burn power comes from the root end. Another thing I do, and genrally this is only during allergy season when my eyes are typically bothered to begin with, is keep a store bought bag of diced frozen onion on hand for when I want onion in a recipe but don't want to be blinded by cutting one up. It is just as good as the real thing, same flavor and all, and actually is a good time saver too.

You know those little sports fans that are battery operated?  I use one of those when I peel onions, blowing the onion mist sideways so it doesn't get to my eyes.

Wear swimming goggles

I don't know how true this is.  I saw in a video that your tear ducts are connected to your nasal passage way.  When you breathe in the fumes from the onion and the fumes go through the tear ducts and cause them to react and make tears.

I suggest trying to cut onions with your face mask on and breathing through your mouth.

I hope this helps.