Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can I plug a 240V kiln into a dryer outlet or do I need a higher amp breaker?

15 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Your kiln came with specs telling you the amperage it draws.  What is it?  Most electric kilns are 48 amps so you will need a 50 or 60 amp breaker.  Clothes dryers are 30 amp. You will also need a separate circuit box with a ground fault cut-off mounted near the kiln and connected to a 50 or 60 cb in the main.  btw   LOAD IS CURRENT.  Say that out loud fifty times.  Do not connect a 48 amp load to a 30 amp cb.

  • 2 months ago

    Most standard "dryer outlets" in the USA are designed for 240v at 30 amps.  If the shape of the plug on the kiln is compatible with the receptacle for the dryer, then you're good to go, assuming it was previously installed properly (i.e., to conform to the standards and safety codes).

  • garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    depends if your in australia (240 volt) or in america (110 volt) and a dryer outlet plug , thought they where the same as the rest of the house , and what amps is the kiln at ?

  • 2 months ago

    Spock (rhp): If the kiln PLUGS IN, it is designed to work INDOORS.

    One thing I didn't see in prior answers is to check if the plug physically fits the outlet.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Breakers work to protect the house wiring from overheating and burning the house down.

    You can only try it and see if the breaker holds on or "kicks off"  When it kicks off then the kiln is drawing more power than the house wiring can handle.  You may then need to have an electrician over to see if he can wire up a dedicated 240V line ONLY for the kiln.

    . He may have other suggestions. He knows his stuff.

    Listen to HIM

  • 2 months ago

    Check the nameplate on the furnace and crunch the numbers to perceive the number of amps it attracts then go to the breaker board and verify which one is named dryer and perceive the number of amps that is.

  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Look on the kiln's label to see how many amps it draws at full power.  If that's less than the breaker's rating for the dryer outlet, you're good to go.

  • 2 months ago

    the kiln has its power needs either on it or in the owner's manual.  Note that the dryer outlet is inside your house -- *** READ ***  the kiln instructions -- using it indoors may NOT be safe -- either because of poison gasses it gives off or the extreme heat it generates [your house isn't designed to handle point source temperatures that exceed more than a few hundred degrees (f) -- Lord knows what would happen if your kiln reaches 800 degrees (f) or more -- but take NO chances of burning the house down.]  Note:  if the kiln is for outdoor use only [as I suspect], it requires a special circuit installed from the breaker box by someone who knows what he is doing.  do *** NOT *** use an extension cord, even one rated for 220v and 40 plus amps.  Cords get *** HOT *** when used to power something with heavy electrical draw for hours and can easily start a that house fire you are avoiding.  -- grampa  *** added -- using an outdoor device that might be rained on with an extension cord from inside the house is DANGEROUS because the indoor circuit does not have a GFCI to prevent fatal accident due to electricity coming in contact with water.  Outdoor circuits REQUIRE a GFCI -- and, yes, I know that a 220v, dual pole, GFCI for a 30 map or larger power draw is EXPENSIVE.  The electrician knows this, too, and will include the proper cost in his quote.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Volts Amps hmmm................

  • James
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    Check the nameplate on the kiln and do the math to see how many amps it draws then go to the breaker panel and check to see which one is labeled dryer and see how many amps that is. If the breaker has enough amps then you can do it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.