. asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is it sad that I’m 17 and I don’t know how to cook?

No it's not sad. It's about time you learned. Get yourself a simple, beginner cookbook. Follow a recipe. You can learn to cook in about 5 minutes. 

Most people can't cook at 17 - so no, it's not sad.

And you absolutely can't learn to cook in 5 minutes.

I'm 61 and am a great cook and still learning.  I love to cook, have loved baking and looking at recipes since I was a little girl and am always fooling around in the kitchen, but not everyone is like that.  It's not important to be a foodie like me but it is important to be able to put a decent meal on the table if needed.

I suggest picking up a copy of Marian Cunninghams wonderful book 'Learning to Cook'.  You can get this on Thriftbooks.com for about $4.  At first try to avoid cookbooks with food porn pictures and complex recipes, they will just frustrate and discourage you.

I worked for a few years with a local cooking school and still teach in my own kitchen sometimes.  I keep a stash of nice knives I've picked up at the local thrift store and a couple of the Marion Cunningham books in the house to send home with my budding chefs as encouragement.

Years ago I had a boyfriend who could not cook, I literally taught him how to make pancakes which was his go-to.  This was after he and his friend RAVED about a wonderful pancake place for months then when we finally make the over an hour drive - the guys excited the whole way - it was an International House of Pancakes.

I was always frustrated by his refusal to cook at all.  He would always say that there would always be someone else to do that.  Toward the end of our relationship I finally said in frustration that "I don't understand why you refuse to learn a basic skill that anyone who eats can appreciate."  He said he'd never thought of it like that, started cooking and eventually (long after we broke up) was able to produce a decent meal.

One thing that is super fun about being able to cook (even if it's only a few basics) is to be able to whip up a meal for a hungry friend or lover with competence and success.  This can be as simple as an omelette or dish of crepes (wonderful after a long, amorous evening) or roasted chicken dinner.  In my 20s and 30s I was a competent home cook who had mastered a number of good go to dishes.  I never had kids or a husband so never had to "produce" meals so cooking was always a fun thing for me.  In my 40s and 50s I got very serious about cooking and am now an excellent chef who can find my way through pretty much any recipe or tecnique with success.

A great deal of learning to cook is about practice.  One thing I do that is probably not what most folks do when learning to cook is when I'm working on mastering a particular dish I will make it over and over in a short period til I've got it down pat.  When I learned to make the classic french dish of seared beefsteak with green peppercorn sauce I did it every night for a week.  Now I can make that in my sleep.  It's a magnificent dish to make for a special someone and always gets gasps of appreication when I flambe the sauce.

One final comment on cooking - it's always best to read the recipe all the way through - TWICE - once when shopping for ingredients and then again right before you start to cook.  And have all your ingredients laid out and preferably pre measured before you even fire up the stove.  This allows you to really pay attention to the cooking.  I always keep the recipe right in front of me while I'm cooking something relatively new so I can refer to it at every step.  I have a special book / sheet holder in my kitchen for exactly this purpose.

That's a lie. I learned how to cook from my dad when I was only five and made my first dish when I was 12. 

• ?

Only if you want to know how to cook. You will eat healthier if you cook your own food. I just spent 30 minutes chopping cabbage into bits with my chef's knife. It is to boil and fry or stew??? as it has water and oil. I began to cook when my girlfriend (15 y.o.) told me she can't cook. I said "I can" and began to learn.

• ?

That is sort of sad. When I was 17, I was a short order cook in a restaurant. I was already proficient in flipping eggs, making omellets, and the rest of the breakfast and lunch menu. Do you just go to eat at fast food places because you can't feed yourself other ways?

• kswck2

It always amazes me how many 17 year olds consider COOKING involves a microwave and a full meal takes less than 8 minutes to make. 

• .

Not at all. I didn't get the hang of actual cooking until, oh about 4 years ago, so I was 32! It takes time, practice, and patience. From 26-31, I could make passable knock up meals with 5 ingredients, boxed mixes and canned soups, but now I can make my own soup from scratch. Because I have time and have practiced. Nothing to be ashamed of. 

At 17, I was no cook. Still making ramen from the pack and mac and cheese from the box. I think all I could cook at 17 was scrambled eggs. Most people don't actually cook until they are in their late 20's and early 30's, unless it's a passion they've had from being a kid. In your late 20's and early 30's, you're more than likely to have your own place, a good job, and more time, so this is when a lot of people experiment and branch out. If you want to learn now, by all means, nothing is stopping you except you, so do it. There are so many resources now to help you along. Just do me a favor and take this advice to heart with whatever you want to try: ALWAYS READ THE RECIPE THREE TIMES OVER to 1. Make sure you have the time to get it done and 2. Make sure you have all the ingredients and equipment needed for said recipe. For instance, don't start a bread to go with dinner at 5pm, or you're not eating until 7:30pm. Don't start a dessert if you haven't checked for vanilla and eggs. Learn to read the recipe 3-5 times over. Good luck!

Most 17 yo's probably can't cook.  Get the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and read it, because the internet has too much information and you don't know what you don't know.  You will learn things like the difference between chopping, dicing and mincing, with pictures.

It depends

Do you want to learn to cook?  If no, that is sad

Do you have the opportunity to learn? If no, that is sad.

It's never too late to learn.  Ask a family member to help you learn the fundamentals: work with your mother (or other) while preparing foods.

Also, there are lots of TV shows, books, videos, downloads, etc. on cooking fundamentals.