Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is the difference between bitter and sour?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sour refers to an acidic pH (0 to 7) and bitter refers to an alkaline pH (7 to 14).

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are different and distinct taste sensations. For example, a lemon is sour but not bitter, but there are foods that are bitter but not sour.

• 1 month ago

It is surprisingly hard to describe feelings or senses using words, so bitter versus sour is sort of similar to difference between blue and red.  However, I would say, as my best possible explanation, is that sour is acid and bitter is alkaline.  These are terms that can be measured (pH related) so can be shown and demonstrated in an objective way.  How your taste buds perceive those flavors relative to mine (what happens in your brain), though, is not within my capacity to know.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A taste is a sensation felt when consuming something; as it reacts chemically with the taste receptor cell's taste buds.

Sour refers to an acidic pH level of 0 to 7

Bitter refers to an alkaline pHlevel of 7 to 14.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

bitter has 6 letters and sour has 4

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.