Why do some people don't want to work in school groups?

For as long as I can remember, I always deal with students who doesn't want to collaborate in schoolwork. It frustrates me when people leave their work for others to do. Even if it was clearly assigned to each group, there is always one person who doesn't want to contribute. Why are some people don't want to contribute in groups?

I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. 

There will always be people like that. For what ever reason, they do nothing to contribute, fully knowing that they are supposed to, and that they are making things harder for the people they are supposed to be helping. I think they see a presentation like this as a way to get an easy pass.There isn't much you can do if that person will not help, but there is one thing you can do when your presentation is all done and that is shame them. When I was in college we had a presentation to do and the class was divided into groups of 4. One girl, 'Kelly' would not do anything to help. So the other three of us had to tuck in and get her work done as well as our own. We got the presentation done, we had 5 copies made of the written work, one for each of us and a proper one typed out for our instructor, and on the credits page we listed what each of us did toward the presentation, and under Kelly's name we all agreed to put 'NOTHING' as her contribution. There wasn't a thing she could do about it, it went to the instructor as such, and she was given a fail for that presentation after we all had a meeting with the instructor. We also made Kelly answer all the questions everyone had after the presentation was done, just to make her look even worse. 

• drip

There are alway as student who don’t want to do the work, if they are in a group or doing individual work. Not all student are good students.  Not all student in your class are earning A’s or even C’s . So why would you expect a poor student to join in a group and get work done on time when they don’t do that normally.   

dear teacher:  you are trying the equivalent of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  In terms of psychology, a small minority of North Americans are loners [this isn't an official psych description, but an observation of the effect].  these kids will ALWAYS prefer to work alone [or not at all].  The best you can do is to choose the groups wisely -- put them in a group that includes one of their best non-loner friends.  Another useful strategy in some cases is to discuss improving grades with them in terms of group -- but your emphasis needs to be on them working with the smartest or most knowledgeable kids -- it's easier for them to get good grade if someone with learning horsepower is dragging the group forward.  -- grampa [married 32 years to Uni Professor of Education -- subspecialty -- Ed Psych.  I leave it to your imagination to figure out which of the students described above I was.]