John asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

How could I scan coupon codes in bulk?

So I've been buying a particular product nearly every day for the past 2 years, they come with coupon codes that you can redeem and cash out after a while. I probably have 300-400 coupon codes. They are hexadecimal and 12 characters long, they look like: ABC-123-DEF-456. Each code is worth about 15 cents.

At some point I just started keeping them because it took a while to enter them.

I've found some OCR apps but it takes like 30 seconds for the phone to take the picture, manually cropping the picture then having it upload the picture to their servers and giving the result in a way that's not really that useful

I'm looking for an app that you can just keep snapping pictures, extracting the code, adding it to a list, etc. Just one after the other, like assembly-line style.

If nothing like that exists maybe I can make an app but what's a good API? Or what's a good piece of software? 

Or maybe I can cut them and put them into a sheet, run the sheet through my scanner then run that through an OCR thing.

What's the best solution here?

Thanks

By the way I already have a way to enter them in bulk once they are already in text form. I just need a way to take hundreds of these little pieces of cardboard and turn it into text.

I have never seen a "coupon" you can redeem for cash at that rate.

However, if you do have such a coupon, you should look at what these coupons are actually be paying you.  Even if you have 400 valid coupons, at $0.15/each you are talking only $60.  

There may be apps that do what you want, but any "free" version won't handle the quantity you need.  Most trials would be limited to a couple of dozen or limit the uploading features.  But even if you found a "free" version realize that even the best OCR software is not 100% accurate.