Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Is pharmacy school hard?

Is pharmacy school hard to get into? Is the curriculum hard? I’m somewhat good at science I’m just afraid that I won’t do well in the pharmacy programs?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes absolutely you have to have good grades lots of people want to get into grad school. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

In the USA, yes pharmacy school is hard and a lot of work. There is pressure, but in many USA pharmacy schools they want to help you succeed (unlike other programs where they try and weed out people). Once you get in, the pharmacy school (if it's a good one) will try and help you succeed in your courses and do well.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the USA It is a very hard program. I have seen  dry good student who have gotten into the program but were not able to complete it. 

As an undergrad take chemistry and Organic chem and see how you do. You will need to be excellent at math too.

• MS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it's hard to get into.  And it's a hard curriculum, very heavy on math and science. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

i'm told there is a great deal of memorizing required and you must be meticulous in personal habits.  do not know about entry requirements except that they vary by nation/state/school.

• 1 month ago

It's supposed to be hard. People's lives are at stake. To quote Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own, "It's the hard that makes it good. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. " If you're good at science, you'll be fine. 

• 1 month ago

I'm a pharmacy technician that has known many pharmacists...

I'd say go for it if you have the proxy.

You need the two years to get into pharmacy school... then four years to get that PharmD, but it doesn't seem as difficult as other things like MD or DDS, but that's just IMHO. 

It won't be a job that feels like you graduated from a university though, at least not as far as how you're treated by customers. 

The money is good, though... but some markets are saturated.

The turnaround for pharmacists isn't necessarily excessive because it takes schooling, but some places have so many that it is a bit difficult to get hired and then if you do - you float - meaning you don't have a home store and sometimes have to travel for hours - but the company at some point pays mileage and sometimes even hotel and dinners.

If you get into pharmacy school you have to intern each summer in retail and hospital... both being very different in nature... 

Some pharmacists don't help us technicians, don't ring people out even if we're tied up with 10,000 other things... and spend their shift just staring at the computer and clicking the mouse (verifying prescriptions).

So there's another thing to think about.

The unhelpful ones aren't scolded by corporate... but we do sorta groan when we see the name on the schedule so there is that matter of conscience thing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.