Should "Christian Fiction" even be a choice?

My English class is examining literary genres and on the first day we got a four page list of different genres with books under them. Each quarter you have to read one independently and have in a book report on that book.

For example, I've done The Oxbow Incident for western, Dracula for macabre, And Then There were None for mystery and 1984 for Dystopian literature.  I'm probably going to do Animal Farm for allegory for my last one.

But there is one category for "Christian Fiction".

You get to pick from

The Robe

In His Steps

The Bronze Bow

This President Darkness

Screwtape Letters

Now i want to point out that there are way more that 4 categories so nobody would HAVE to read a Christian Fiction book if they don't want to, but this is a public high school so should it even be a consideration.

I also need to point out that my teacher also teaches the Bible as Literature class, which is an elective.  Also he doesn't mention religion in class, but how is even putting it out there as a choice ok.

Christian fiction is a recognized genre by publishers worldwide. And there's nothing wrong with the list you were given. I read "The Robe" when I was in high school too, as part of one of my Religion as Literature classes. Yes, they were electives, but I thoroughly enjoyed them.

• Deane

May I suggest The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan or The Curate's Awakening by George MacDonald. These are both two excellent works of classical Christian literature. The Screwtapes Letter is good but I did a course on that in college. If you are in a public school you might want to ask the principal if this is valid since the ruling of separation of church and state. The Bible has not been allowed in public schools since the 60's when Madalyn Murray O'hair.  But if you're in a Christian or Catholic school then you have to do the course. If you are not Christian you could always ask about reading literature based on your faith. A teacher should not shove their beliefs down a students throat in a public setting. This kind of course should be done after school or at the teacher's house.

if you are not christian, you should have the right to propose a similar in difficulty text from own religion.  Otherwise, I think you are being hyper sensitive.  The US Constitution only limits the actions of Congress in regard to religion, it does not limit that actions of states or state entities.  Your state Constitution might do so and you'd have to check that for yourself.  If you are in Canada, I'm told there is no such limitation -- with Montreal funding the Catholic schools as well as the public ones.

Of course it's a legitimate choice. I hope he lets you analyze it honestly, just like you will the other genres. We should all be reading books about all the major religions. Then we'd understand other people a lot better. The Screwtape Letters is a classic. Don't be afraid of being exposed to other ideas- often, that just helps you solidify the views you have. 

i dont see why not

• jijawm

Why would it not be okay? Please be specific. 

Just so you know, the words "freedom OF religion do not mean freedom FROM religion. Too many people on this message board are critical of Christianity while their comments expose their ignorance of Christianity. They are unable to discern the difference between the Christians that settled at Plymouth Rock from the "Christians" that settled Jamestown.

I took a class in The World's Religions in college. I was particularly interested in the Sufi mystics, (a part of Islam). Hinduism, Buddhism (read Siddhartha), Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Taoism, and Shinto were also part of the curriculum. 

The Screwtape Letters is a good read, but perhaps not the best introduction to Christianity. The basic tenet of Christianity is that God is characterized by love, forgiveness, compassion, mercy, and grace. He has Personality, and can be known through a personal relationship with Him through His son.