Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can I get my ex in trouble for fraud ?

We ordered food on her phone and I gave her my credit card info the put in .

Week later we are broken up and she uses that same card on her phone to order food .

Can I get her for fraud charges ?

People keep saying that sense I gave her access to my card and she didn’t steal it that I don’t have a case. 

Yes, credit card fraud (using it without PROOF of permission) is fraud, and actually a federal crime. You can easily refute the charge with the credit card company with a single phone call, which is one reason I would never even consider buying something with a DEBIT card.

The credit card company may investigate, or simply write it off, or make a chargeback to the merchant, who can file a criminal fraud complaint against the unauthorized user and sue her for the money.

You may also want to proactively change your credit card so that she is no longer tempted to rip them off (you're not personally liable for her fraud, under US laws).  Report the fraud, identity theft to the police immediately.

Yes, identity theft is a serious crime, even if the stolen amount is not very significant THIS TIME.  It's still a crime and you should report it immediately (to credit company if not also the police).  If you don't report a crime to the police, they have no way of knowing it happened. If they don't issue a report, your credit card company may discover that your friend CLAIMS she was authorized, and you would not have the police report of evidence to the contrary.

Of course you can.  Step one, file a police report.  Step two contact your credit card and tell them that you did not make the transaction and initiate a chargeback.

file a police report for theft

• L

When you two broke up, you should have made sure she did not have your credit card info or had it cancelled and replaced.....no case.

Can you get her arrested?  Probably not.  Can you sue her for the money?  Yes.  Would it be easier to notify the credit card company of the fraud and have the charge reversed?  Yes.

Immediately contact your bank (or wherever you got your credit card).   >>Immediately get a new card with new numbers.  Shut down your old card asap.  

As soon as possible, send your Ex a “Cease and Desist” letter.   Make copies.   

Go to your local Police Department - file a Police Report against your Ex.   Charge her with theft if possible.  Get a copy of the Police Report - make additional copies.  

You gave her authority to use your card ONE time - that was it.   Get all of your previously-mentioned copies together, and take her to Small Claims Court.   When you go to Court, take notes (judges love people who are organized), your copies, and dress VERY nice (in a suit, etc.).  

Even if your case isn’t worth hundreds of dollars, make this experience painful enough for your Ex that she will leave you alone in the future, and maybe think twice before she pulls that stunt again.  

Good luck.  

Source(s): life

You should have ALREADY reported the charges to you card issuer as unauthorized. If they refund you, it is no longer your problem.

Note: You authorized ONE SPECIFIC charge. That is NOT the same as authorizing use of the card on any other occasion.

• Kathy

First, have your credit card account changed to a new number. Then file a police report. They will take it from there.

That isn't fraud, it's theft.  Have you contacted her?

The cops aren't likely to do anything.  Assuming she didn't order from The French Laundry, it probably isn't that much money.  The easiest course of action would be to call your bank and cancel the card.  You could try explaining what happened to you, but you willingly gave her the number, so they may not be willing to dispute the charges.  Get a new card ASAP.  I generally use my debit card for food purchases, and my bank can replace a debit card in 10 minutes.  Credit cards take a bit longer to replace, but it's sill worth doing.