Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I touched up on a spot on my ceiling and it is showing up bringer than the rest of the ceiling? ?

I used semi gloss white to paint the ceiling, and it has been a year and I touched up on something on the ceiling and used semi gloss white paint again and it dried and is showing up brighter and is visible when I turn on the ceiling light.

What can I do? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Because of the way the light hits the ceiling it is very difficult to paint just a spot even if you have the same paint as the original.  This is more pronounced if you use a paint that has a semi-gloss or gloss sheen. The  only way to deal with the problem is to paint the whole ceiling.

• 1 month ago

Always use matt paint on a ceiling. If it is rough, use ceiling paint, which is very chalky. If it is smooth you can use normal white matt paint. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Repaint the ceiling.  Then when you get paint on the walls, repaint the walls.  Then when you get paint on the carpet, new carpet.  And paint on the furniture, new furniture.  Your ceiling has probably gotten darker than original over the years for smoke, etc.  It's not the paint, it's the rest of the old ceiling that is discolored.  The only other alternative is remove the light bulbs from the ceiling light.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you have to prime those areas first with Kilz or some other primer and then paint it. and maybe the original paint was matte, not semigloss. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Paint the entire ceiling.  Pretty rare to get a perfect color match with touch-ups, even when using the exact same paint.  The colors age once used so the new stuff stands out.  It sounds as though you not only did a touch-up that would be evident no matter what you do, but that you mismatched paints and made it stand out even more.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.