Anonymous

going back to college?

please no judgement. I have been thinking about going back to college. I went to college 10years ago I was young, didn’t know what to take, or what I want. I was not motivated and failed couple of classes because I did not withdraw the class in time. I am thinking of coming back.... So I was wondering if I try and apply to a program will that affect my chances of being accepted? should I start fresh in a different college?

Ten years is a long time. Get ahold of a counselor at the college and meet with him/her. Explain you are more serious about things now and want to pick up where you left off. Not to be cynical, but they will happily take your money.

Don't worry about the old you. Most of the limits we face are what we put on ourselves. I had a part time job from my Junior year in high school through 2 years at a vocational school that was a quarterly schedule (not semesters, meaning no summer break). My school/work days were 10-12 hours long for 4 years. After I got my Associate's degree with good, but not great, grades at age 20, I was sick of school. After a few years though, I realized I needed to go get my Bachelor's degree. I put if off for 3 or 4 years thinking I was "too old" to go back to school, a limit I put on myself. Finally, at the ripe old age of 27, I decided to do it. I was already working in the field of my choice full time so I had to go at night. Almost none of my Vocational credits transferred and I basically had to start completely over. I could have used that as an excuse and quit (another limit I would have placed on myself), but didn't. Meanwhile I got married and started a family. That would have been a good excuse to quit and no one would have blamed me, but I didn't put that limit on myself either. It was hard work to balance a full time job, night school, and a family. It took 10 years to get a 4 year degree, but I did it. And with almost perfect grades (only one "B" in 10 years, Dean's List every semester, University President's Award for Academic Excellence finalist...one of six out of over 400 seniors who were eligible).

You can do it.

Source(s): Life experience.
  • Rita

Figure out why you want to get your degree.

It's not as expensive as you think.

Set up your support network.

Pick the right school (and program!)

Get credit for what you've already done.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.

• Kate

It's never too late to go back to College or Uni. Try and find an area that you have a passion for or do some research into which industries or professions are in growth. No good doing a degree in an area that has no jobs or future.

NO!  I've had had nine years of it!  Enough!

• drip

I would highly get a meeting with the admissions office at any and all universities you want to apply to now before you apply. 

• ?

It depends on how competitive the college is. Some may require remedial courses, but aren't going to turn down a potential customer. If you go to say, a trade school, they won't care about your college experience many years ago.

No way would I ever judge anyone for wanting to learn. Good for you. The best thing you could do is contact the school that you want to go back to, explain what you want to do, and see what they have to say. I cannot imagine they would slam the door in your face, you are not the first person who has had this issue, but they may tell you that there are things you may need to catch up on, or do, so that you can enroll again. You may need to take a couple of catch-up courses, but that shouldn't be too bad. And if worse comes to worse and they say no, then apply to a different college or uni. Either way, you will get there, don't give up. Good luck.

Yes, of course failing college classes will affect your chances of being accepted, as long as you completed at least one semester of college. You don't get to "start fresh." You will have to apply as a transfer student, and you will have to provide the transcript from the prior college. 

Lying about having never attended college before is fraud. Depending on when they find out, you will either be rejected, have all of your credits stripped and expelled, or have your degree rescinded. And they *will* find out; they will check in particular people who have a gap between college and high school, and those whose high school transcripts indicate they were going to college. Your financial aid records will show other schools you've attended, if you applied for aid. If you're in the U.S., you might consider starting at a community college in the college transfer (2+2) program. The classes are usually a little easier than four-year college classes. They cover the same material, but CCs are just more likely to "teach to the test", the classes are smaller, and the professors are generally more helpful. So you might be better off since you've been out of school for so long and your skills might be a bit rusty. You can either get your associate's degree in the transfer program and transfer to a state university for the last two years, or check out the career and technical (AAS) degrees. 

you'll be fine.  tell truth about not knowing what you wanted 10 years ago and resulting motivational failure

• John

When you apply, you must include all previous college work attempted on your application.  Many schools, however, have academic fresh start (they are called by different names in different places) programs for those in your situation.  Such programs are designed for those whose first attempt at college was poor, have been out of college a long time, and want a second chance.