Getting called a small timer meaning?

what does it mean if someone calls you a small Timer?

I like to tell small timers that they act like an insect.

• ?

A person who is limited to small, petty, or unimportant things.

• ?

someone who is not very successful or important: The police are arresting the small-timers when they should be going for the ringleaders.

• Zirp

you mean "small-timer" (one word. They don't mean a timer that happens to be small)

It means you are not rich, powerful or important, are not a "mover and shaker"

Not in the big time.  Big time is important.  small time is unimportant.  I would not like someone calling me, or what I do, as unimportant, myself.  There is no other reason to call you small-timer except to say that you and what you do are small, worth basically nothing.  I would be very insulted and react.  But that is me.

It means that they see you as a person who has never tried to make more of themselves. You have never tried to better yourself or get ahead further in your life.

Often said to a person that thinks he has a big influence on those around him. "You're just a small timer".But really doesn't.

This is used a lot in real estate and investing in stocks. Meaning a person with small amount of money to invest. I was a "small time" real estate investor with my friend, in the 70s.

Source(s): Native American English speaker.

implies that you are not worth paying attention to in the context --

It means that they regard you as being a person without any real ambition. A no-hoper, some would say.