Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Getting called a small timer meaning?

what does it mean if someone calls you a small Timer?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I like to tell small timers that they act like an insect.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

A person who is limited to small, petty, or unimportant things.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

someone who is not very successful or important: The police are arresting the small-timers when they should be going for the ringleaders.

• Zirp
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

you mean "small-timer" (one word. They don't mean a timer that happens to be small)

It means you are not rich, powerful or important, are not a "mover and shaker"

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Not in the big time.  Big time is important.  small time is unimportant.  I would not like someone calling me, or what I do, as unimportant, myself.  There is no other reason to call you small-timer except to say that you and what you do are small, worth basically nothing.  I would be very insulted and react.  But that is me.

• 1 month ago

It means that they see you as a person who has never tried to make more of themselves. You have never tried to better yourself or get ahead further in your life.

• 1 month ago

Often said to a person that thinks he has a big influence on those around him. "You're just a small timer".But really doesn't.

This is used a lot in real estate and investing in stocks. Meaning a person with small amount of money to invest. I was a "small time" real estate investor with my friend, in the 70s.

Source(s): Native American English speaker.
  • 1 month ago

implies that you are not worth paying attention to in the context --

• 1 month ago

It means that they regard you as being a person without any real ambition. A no-hoper, some would say.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.