Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 month ago

Is it bad to always keep a USB Flash Drive plugged in?

I want to create a network storage to keep photos, music and videos and make accessible to different computers at home that are hooked up to my network. There is a USB port on my router for that purpose and I was thinking buy a 512GB USB flash drive for that purpose. But that would mean that this USB flash drive will be plugged in 24/7 since my router is always left on. I'm not sure if these USB flash drives are meant to be left plugged in all the time. Is it ok and safe for these USB flash drives to be plugged in all day everyday? Or could that potentially harm them and corrupt the data eventually?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

From experience, it heats up when plugged in too long and eventually dies off earlier than expected. A better solution would be a portable hard disk. It may cost double than a flash drive but your files would be more secure in it.

• 1 month ago

yes, it should work.  and using an external HDD would be better.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.