Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Do liberals believe whatever the BBC and The Guardian tells them or do they sometimes think for themselves?

Oh no! Now this American uneducated, divisive thinking of Liberals vs Conservatives (with mindless, heated discussions) enters the UK as well! Liberalism in the UK (and the whole of Europe) is a very different thing than Liberalism in the US.Liberals here are not Socialists (and I very much doubt that Socialist would agree that Liberals are Socialists).

We do not need that kind of American export!

And again it is superficial to generalize that all people of a group just believe one thing, and it is even worse to claim, that only the other group does it (and not your own). There are even Conservatives who believe everything conservative papers say.

• Zac Z

I don't automatically believe everything a certain publication writes but I will trust some publications a lot more than others.

Now, technically, one would have to double-check all reporting but practically, that just isn't possible.

Therefore, it makes pragmatic sense to put some "goodwill trust" into sources that have proven reliable over time. That last bit is key: some publications have a track record of good journalism; their reporting isn't necessarily gospel truth but they would try to be as accurate as possible, do good journalistic work, and -if applicable- will point out their own errors and correct wrong prior reporting.

I don't really know why (and I don't know for how long this has been going on) but I see many more publications that do NOT fall into the reliable category as described above on the political right spectrum.

It seems to be the left that is more interested in facts, scientific data, and so on.

Now, I must say that I'm very happy with this situation as my political leanings are rather left, and I've also always been interested in actual facts, science, etc., as opposed to what "feels right". It is therefore satisfying that there is a rather big overlap of these two positions where I personally feel comfortable.

I'd be rather unhappy if I saw that most people that share my political views were science deniers, etc.

All of that said, none of this has anything to do with books and authors.

I am a Liberal conservative and the Last Paper in the UK who told the Truth some of the Time was the News of the World

Whenever I read a piece by either news source I automatically check in with right wing youtube commentators to see what the lunatic fringe thinks.

only 50% of voters voted for obiden

• ?

There are no recorded instances of Americans thinking for themselves

Informative trust journalism is bad mmmm'k clearly Ben Shapiro, Brandon Tatum, Breitbart, Candace Owens, Charlie Kirk, Daily Mail, Fox News, Jordan Peterson, Louder With Crowder, New York Post, Newsmax, One America News Network, Paul joseph Watson, PJ Media, Project Veritas, Redstate, Russia Today, Steven Crowder, Stormfront, The Post Millennial, Tim pool, Townhall, Tucker Carlson, TuskerDaily.com, Turleytalks, Turning Point USA, etc. is better.

Being fair, The Guardian is a tabloid...