Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Is my book idea any good?

When I was around 10 or 11, I came up with this little fictional universe thing about a species called the Hipposlugs. Creatures that were, you guessed it, half hippo, half slug. I tried to draw a hybrid thing for a game I was doing, but it was so astonishingly bad that it looked like nothing that's ever lived on Earth before - perfect! 

Eventually, it evolved to have much more detail, and much more stupidity. I made 3 unique planets with their own governments and weather systems and things, creatively named Hipponia, Flob and Normaltopia (they were deliberately ridiculous, because that's the point: it isn't supposed to be taken seriously at all xD). I had Royal Family Trees, a history of all the planets, and even the creation of the universe eventually, and there was just so much "lore" in there that I knew off by heart. It was a running thing between me and my siblings, and I/they found it ridiculously funny xD

I'm not saying this is a good idea. It's not exactly believable, and it's so stupid that it's on the cusp of insanity - but would this ever work as a book or a book series?

Obviously aimed for children. Is it alright, or is it too stupid :P

So these creatures occupy three planets and have been evolving over a span of time lengthy enough to allow for the creation of a historical record? Ignoring the fact that it would be impossible to splice a hippopotamus with a slug, why would anyone want to for a story? Haven't you ever read a children's book before? Non-human characters are bears or elephants or monkeys. What kid wants to read about a fat slug? In any case, it's your idea. If you want to write it, have at it. I'm sure if Ernest Hemingway, Jack London, and John Steinbeck were to get roaring drunk together and make a bet to see who could bring this nonsense to life, all three would be an interesting read. The real question is "Are you capable of creating a readable story based on this premise?" So there's no point in asking whether or not the idea is good or bad. It's all about the execution of an idea. If you can write worth a damn, it just might work. If you can't, then it really won't matter what you decide to write about. 

• j153e

Imho, hero hipposlugs would be good (Frodo; "The Hero with a 1000 Faces;" "Save the Cat! Writes a Novel").  Children love to identify with the little "hipposlug that could."  Children also like to know about the real world and how things work, so having some real-world situations would be good.

Hipposlug society could be peaceful, then a problem on the horizon, so that they have to rise up to the occasion; some noble hipposlugs might be born to do great things, others might like Frodo rise to the occasion and achieve greatness, and some are more second banana Muggles in a good cause (Papageno and Papagena).