Anonymous

What happens if you leave a job without notice ?

I'm a new hire and I don't like the job at all. I want to leave it but I dont know what to do. Can I just leave? should I give them a call and say I was hired somewhere else and wont be returning?

I would give them the courtesy of an explanation. Merely tell them that it's not what you want to be doing and why? Offer to give them two weeks' notice. This way you wouldn't burn any bridges behind you.

• L

In America, every state is 'at-will'...........meaning; an employer can let an employee go for no reason and an employee can quit a job for no reason.  When looking for jobs, do not list this employer on an application or resume.

• Don't bother asking them for a reference letter and don't use them on your resume. 

Just tell them you don't like the job, you're quitting and not coming back. 

Don't abandon your job, which is just leaving your job with out telling any one. 

• ?

However, if you leave without serving the correct notice period, you're likely to be breaching your contract. This means that your employer could potentially sue you.

• Jane

If you were taken on a permanent or long term contract, then it is likely that you are still in the probationary period, where both you and the employer can terminate the contract at short notice. Take a look at your contract to see the details.

I have found it is best to leave on good terms as you never know what comes through later in life eg. if you get work in the same type of sector, people often know each other, a new manager turns out to have worked there etc- just email giving notice and thanking them for the opportunity.

It's professional and courteous.

• garry

nothing the just keep your entitlements like super and withhold any pay that might be owing thats all .

It's responsible and adult to tell them you aren't going to come back in and you will not be continuing. Hopefully you are both. 

The ADULT thing to do is tell your boss you quit, this way they can cover your shift and won't give a bad report about job abandonment when a prospective employer contacts them about you. 

• ?

Don't lie. Just tell them you don't think the job is a good fit for you. Give them as much notice as you possibly can.  Don't call just a few hours before your shift when it will be difficult to find someone to cover.  Don't pull a no show/no call, especially if you're going to list them on your resume or need a reference.

You piss people off and get put on the do not rehire list, but you can do it any way you want. The best way would be to give 2 weeks notice. As a new hire you will likely end up the same above mentioned list and still piss people off just the same.