Will Alexei Navalny ever be seen alive again once he reaches Mr Putin's Gulag? Does he want to become a Martyr to the cause?

Probably not (be seen alive).  I don't understand why he returned to Russia.   I don't know, but I'd imagine he wanted more than to become a martyr.

I'm sure he didn't want to become a martyr ,but he knew that was a definite probability. 

Putin can never let him out again, because if he does, Navalny will become a popular leader like Mandela or someone and defeat Putin. 

Navalny is extremely brave and must be nuts going back knowing he is likely to be imprisoned and probably killed. He could have applied for asylum in Germany and stayed there. 

Who knows? What really matters is if the movement he leaves behind continue to use unconventional tactics to fight Putin.