Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)English Football (Soccer) · 2 months ago

Why do brits incorrectly call it a soccer "match" instead of a soccer game?

A match is a series of games. 

Update:

@JimCrockett- Calling soccer football is wrong too but that's a different debate. Most of the world doesn't speak English so your claim that "the rest of the world..." is clearly false. Also, the majority of native English speakers use the word "soccer" and not just in the Americas. Australia only recently changed the name of their soccer governing body and remember the world cup in South Africa? 

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

One assumes that it must be something to do with the fact that they have been watching Match of The Day since 1964 when, of course, they should have been watching Game of The Day and it was nothing to do with geese, duck, woodcock, grouse or partridges.

Don't forget you say potato and we say potato 

and you say tomato and we say tomato.

lol? 

Do we agree on the lol? 

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I don't think you'd ever hear a Brit referring to football as soccer. Outside of Canada and the US the rest of the world calls it football. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

NOTICE: Please do not feed the troll.   Thanks.   ~ Troll Park Rangers.

^_^

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You are the one playing a game-''Silly C*nts'' and your good at it.

If he/she(Footy Fan) is secure at all points, be prepared for them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The only ones who call things incorrectly are Americans.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The correct name is football match

• Adam
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I agree most of the English speaking world refers to it as soccer, however if you want to go for the correct name at least use it. It's Association Football. So how about a deal, America also agrees to call its sports and equipment after what the rest of the world calls it.

It's not football (as in NFL), most of the world calls it American football or Gridiron. So the NFL will be renamed the National Gridiron League (NGL) or the National American football League (NAFL).

You will rename the world series the American series as it involves no countries from around the world

Cleats will be called boots

Baseball will be called Rounders, so the MLB will now be known as the MLR

Indy racing will be renamed Oval and Street Racing League (OSRL)

Racketball will be renamed Squash for idiots

You convince your country to do that, I'm sure most brits will happily refer to it as Association Football, or the shortened term, Football...

Once you've agreed to this we can start on other Americanisms, calling a pavement a sidewalk as an example.

• The Brits and most countries use this term but you do you.

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

why because 2 sides match up against each other , till the same but said differently , they call trucks as lorries too . it just proves how dumb you are , doesnt it . you probably dont know what a footy match is ..lol

• Wilson
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I hear them say "footie match". 

But, 

Really it's the non Brits who have trouble understanding and adapting to the local slang. 

And, 

For me, it's easy to just ask someone if I don't know what they are talking about.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.