Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Am I getting ripped off? ?

A friend is offering to move all my stuff to Florida. He’s charging me 1500.00. Here’s all the details:

It’s a 15ft U-Haul with a car trailer to bring my car. 

The U-Haul has a 40 gal tank

The mileage from Pennsylvania to Florida is 1067. 

Please help me. 

Update:

Btw I’m paying almost 3000.00 for the U-Haul and car trailer. Plus I’m paying for a plane ride back for him. That’s all me. I’m just paying him to drive it down. He said that that’s what it would Cost in gas. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If he is paying for renting the truck, gas, his own meals' tolls if there are any, doing all the driving and then returning the truck, maybe that's ok. If not and he's your friend i think that's a little steep.

• 2 months ago

no he is no ripping you off...why would you think that...does that include loading and unloading...but either way..its not a bad deal...start shopping around and see for yourself

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Clearly you haven't priced moving vans. That's a bargain price, especially with the car included.

He's probably going to be on the road with a long load for what, two and a half or three full days? Let's say 2.5 8-hour days. That's 20 hours. Pay him, what, $20 an hour? There's $400. The truck will get about 10mpg. Gas is another $300 or more, depending on local prices as he travels. That's $700. He's got the cost of a motel or hotel, maybe $60 a night for someplace decent and close to the highway, for two nights, so we're at $820. And that's not including the truck's rental rate. I'd need to know the cities at both ends, but when I just picked a Pennsylvania and Florida city out of the air, the cost of rental alone was over $1500.

If I were you, I'd make sure my stuff is insured. If there's an accident, no matter who's at fault, you want to be covered.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.