Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

What should I do?

I’m a junior in high school and I don’t know what I want to do for my major or what school I should go to. Should I just attend a community college? Would that be smarter?

I think you should first and foremost start by analysing your interests and strengths and then find a profession that you are at least mildly interested in that PAYS. I myself first wanted to become an astrophysicist, having realised that there is no sure way of making money with an astrophysics degree I thought of the next closest thing: aerospace engineering, only to realise that I am not very good at maths so I ended up choosing chemical engineering instead as it required less maths and I was pretty good at chemistry. 

You don't need to necessarily get a university degree. Not everyone is disposed to that. Think of going into the trades.

• ?

Community College is a good start and more affordable than other 'institutions of higher learning.'  As others have pointed out, make sure your credits will transfer if you do decide to go on to a major university.  They are more likely to transfer to a state school than a private college.

Also, don't be afraid to look into the trades.  Things break and the world needs more people who know how to fix cars or install heating and ventilation systems or plumbing.  Look at Texas right now.  Plumbers are making huge money down there right now.

• L

Discuss this with one of your school counselors.   

Take a career aptitude test to see where your strengths lie.

And read John's post.  His answer is the best, and I say that as a university prof.

If you're not sure what you want to do, and you don't want to waste a lot of money figuring it out, community college is a decent option. In my experience, it's also an easier transition, from high school to community college to university, than from high school to university. I didn't choose a major until I finished my associates degree (2 years of college), when I was around 20. I ended up with a Bachelor's Degree after another 2 years, but here I am at 50 now and I've never even worked in my field of study. That's about how important my major ended up being, to me. So, I wouldn't worry too much at this point. My daughter changed her major three times, started with business and ended up in computers. 

Remember this.  If you go to college you are giving  college teachers a JOB.  I stopped donating to that cause years ago.   NOT Knowing what you should do is normal.  Higher education is not always the way to go for success.,,or happiness.  Go to trade school and get a trade like a Welder or Carpenter or Civil Engineer.  2 year course that leads into work right away.

Honestly, if you do not have a solid, concrete plan for university at this time, you would be wasting time and money just going with no plan in place for what you are studying for. If you think there are courses in community college that may help you, then go for it. Of the two options, I preferred cc as I really did not have time or the need for all the 'university experience' foolishness that basically translates into money spent for nothing. You could even take a year off and work if you are still not certain what you want to do. There is no shame in that, not everyone has a plan set in place, and some need to have a bit of time to see the world and get an idea of what they may like to do for a career.

• drip

I would go on some college visits this summer. Visit as many schools as you can. You may end up at a CC first.  But you will learn a lot about what your likes and needs from a university. And have an idea of where you will want to end up at.

Also check out your CC for two year career programs. Go in, get a appointment with admissions college adviser.   Take a tour of the campus. 

• John

Starting at community college (CC) has both advantages and disadvantages.  CC is ideal for students who either (1) want or need to keep their costs low, or (2) did not do well academically in high school, and want a second chance.  

The biggest disadvantage of CC is that it is generally the least challenging form of college.  Generally speaking, students will learn more in each course at a full college.  There is also a much smaller college experience at CC, which may or may not be important to the student.  Finally, CC students must be careful to make sure their credits will transfer to whichever full college they later want to attend.  

• ?

talk it over with your parents ..........................