Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Chloe asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

The Indian child welfare act.?

I'm in the process of writing a story about a young girl who is half Native American from her father who has no family members. Her mother is biologically white with no Native American merican ancestry whatsoever and she has family. Both parents die in a car crash and the young girl is sent to live with her mother's family. But what I want to know is does the Indian Chile Welfare act have the authority take a child away from family members of her mother despite the fact of her mother being adopted.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ten minutes of research would have told you that in many cases children were removed from the extended families they knew and loved and put into Native families with virtual strangers. Now that the ICW has been successfully challenged in court so many times it just sort of comes down to a case by case basis. In your fictional account it would probably just be how hard the mother's surviving family members are willing to fight to keep custody of the child. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

maybe you can find that info online

• 2 months ago

i would call places like that and ask them this question

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You work around it by having the girl follow the wolf pack into the forest to live.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.