Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can you have a conviction for § 709.18 sealed or shielded?

I am an innocent man who pleaded guilty to § 709.18 in Iowa over a decade ago. I only pleaded guilty to avoid jail time but I did not do this crime. I have learned my lesson and have not been in trouble since this occurred yet it is still causing problems for me. I have had women break up with me, people not hire me, and whenever I need to move. The charge can’t be expunged even though this is simple offense in most states and it is not a crime in the state where I live now. There has to be a way to stop people from seeing this. Can you please help?


First of all I didn’t do it. The circumstance was that a woman overdosed and died, and some people did something to her but not me. I was manipulated into pleading guilty, and my lawyer at the time said to take the deal to avoid jail. It was a first offense and I was given 5 years of probation, and community service. I also testified against my friend who was the person who actually did the crime. When I said I learned my lesson I meant, I stopped hanging out with drug addicts. 

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    I have learned my lesson and have not been in trouble since this occurred

    I did not do this crime

    Under EVERY POSSIBLE set of facts, AT LEAST one of those statements is a FLAT OUT LIE.

    Note: NO ONE pleads guilty of abuse of a corpse to avoid jail time. In reality, that plea would GUARANTEE jail time.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    A favourable Court can seal (better erase) anything.

    The only gap is that the authority doing the investigation might still have notes, and recordings, which the court can order destroyed, but cannot enforce. Such notebooks or papers may arise decades latter.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    I answered this yesterday, and the law hasn't changed. I am beginning to think you are a troll who likes to read stories about intercourse with a dead body - which is what 709.18 is. You entered a guilty. That means the Court believes you are guilty. It cannot be "shielded," it cannot removed from your record, it cannot be changed. It will follow you if you legally change your name. Again, I went into more detail yesterday, and it is NOT a "simple offense" to have sex with a corpse.


    This MAY be the reason that people charged with having sex with a corpse USUALLY don't plead guilty.


    And I am again ASTOUNDED by the "legal advice" you've been given.  Certain convictions/pleas can NEVER be "hidden."  I'd be interested in where other people went to law school that they learned the opposite.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.