Anonymous

I didn't get a good vibe from the manager , should I drop the interview?

I applied for a position as a Payroll Manager. It seemed to have everything I wanted, two systems I use, national payroll, industry experience. When I went for the interview this young female manager interviewed me. She.seemed just to go.with the flow.but didn't show much interest and.not friendly at all but I.gave it a good shot and explained all my experience.

After the interview she took like 10 days to get back to me. Then she said we are downgrading the position title and the salary by around 15k, if I am.still interested. I said sure. She then told me she will be advertising the position again publicily. I didnt hear from her for like 10 days again.

It seems like she really does not want me but can not find anyone else as my skills are rare. She asked me for 'just a second chat' not interview and first thing she said in zoom meeting is say my face is to close to camera which it wasn't as I can see almost my head to waist was showing. She said this is just a second chat and I want two.references. I am not comfortable giving them to her as do not get a good vibe at all and do not want to.waste my references. She just smirked, uninterested, said my name wrong during interview. I emailed back that since I have been in my current position 6 years and my managers longer I can not.provide as they have a no reference policy due to a staff retention plan. I do not feel.comfortable.providing them to her, especially since not last stage. Did I do the right thing?

• ?

Follow your gut.  The first red flag for me would have been the downgrading of the position and salary.  If you're as good as you think you are, why would you settle for 15k less than the position advertised?  It makes you look desperate.

• fcas80

Listen to your vibe.  If she is going to be your boss,  you will not like her any more when you work for her.

If you said you were a payroll taxation expert, I would say your skills are rare.

But a payroll manager is a payroll manager.  And payroll systems don't have a lot of differences between them.

But if you don't need a job and you aren't keen on this one, there is no reason to 2nd guess yourself. Interviewing is supposed to be two way street and most people don't do as much evaluating the potential employer as they should.

• ?

Trust your instincts. If they're stretching out this process for a month they're not serious, or seriously unprofessional. No valuable employee would put up with that. You can get a good idea of what it would be like working for a company from the interview process, especially if it drags out.

Look elsewhere or you'll be sorry if you join this company.