KillaZ
KillaZ asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

My boss is incredibly unhelpful to the point of it being kind of sociopathic.  Is he gaslighting me?

About a month ago, I had left a meeting where important clients had signed some paperwork.  As I was returning to my office, I got called into my bosses office to help him with a powerpoint presentation.  I ended up not leaving until nearly 3 hours after my normal quit time.  In the process, I left my folder on his desk.  The next day, I was frantically looking for it.  I sent out an email asking if anyone found it to please return it.   About a week later, I crawled back to the client and begged them to jump through some hoops again to get me new signatures, which was a major ordeal.

Today, my boss told me he threw the folder away.  He knew I left it, and kept it for me for a while, but assumed it must not have been important since I didn't come get it so instead of asking me, telling me, or returning it, he trashed it. Wtf?

He also knew that I had lost a folder containing very important docunents and was incredibly stressed out looking for them. He literally thought it was funny and laughed that it upset me.

Why wouldn't someone speak up if you accidentally left something and just assume you must know where you lost it?  I really think he enjoyed watching me stress out over it and I have lost any and all respect for him and started sending out resumes that same day.

Carefully document all times, dates, and exactly what your boss did that make his actions seem suspicious. From what you say I would be concerned he is looking to, minimally, make you look bad and, at worst, to fire you.

• PIE

Sounds like something from the movie Philadelphia!