Anonymous

Is it bad to request time off at a new job?

So I just started working at Walmart this week. My uncle is getting married in April and I’m in the wedding party. (Its a small wedding and everyone is getting tested beforehand). During my interview I mentioned taking off for it and the lady said it would be fine just let the team lead know 3 weeks in advance because that’s when schedules are made. I will take 3 days off because he’s getting married halfway across the country. I don’t have any PTO yet but she said they have unpaid PTO I can take.  Will this look bad? I don’t have plans to take anymore time off for 6 months. 

Hey! You! The Master! Stop using My Username!!!!

• ?

Why are you asking this question when the lady already gave you instructions on what to do?  Follow her instructions and you'll be fine.

• ?

If you make your request at the wrong time or ask in an inconsiderate way, you could come across as someone who doesn't care about the company or the job. However, if your request for time off is well thought out, you can avoid (or at least soften) any negative impact.

You've already cleared it with your supervisors, so go ahead and take off the time and don't worry about it. Does it look bad?  Not really--because you ALREADY mentioned it. I wouldn't worry about how it looks. 

• Judy

should be fine .......

• If they said it was fine, then you shouldn't get into trouble and you shouldn't look bad. Just try not to take any more time off or call out too much, until after your probation period is over. Remind them of that they said it was okay when you were hired, when it comes time to book your time off. You may even want to book it off now, so they have plenty of notice. 

Yes you can probably do this with no ill effects.  But three weeks may be the deadline for setting the work schedule so I would tell them 3 1/2 weeks before you need the time off.

You let her know during the interview that you had a prior commitment and she indicated it would be ok.   Follow the instructions you were given for requesting the time off.  

At some jobs it’s wrong to request time off anytime, even after working there 15 years. 

No it should be fine. Just put in a request for the time off 3 weeks in advance and u should be in advance