Anonymous

If a boss’s title at law firm goes from “senior partner” (previous firm which dissolved) to “counsel” (new firm), was he demoted?

FYI:

1.  At previous firm, his name was first in the title of employer.

2.  At current firm. only his name is the title of employer, but his photo/profile on website is at bottom of staff.

Not necessarily, depending on the size of of the firms.  Going from being the head of something little to a position that's not the top in something smaller can still be a promotion.  For example, going from President of a company with only two employees to Vice President of the United States of America is not a demotion.

• Eva

Usually "of counsel" means that the person is only working part time.  He may or may not still be a partner in the firm, but his involvement is less.  This is often seen when someone is nearing retirement or wants to lessen their hours. Attorneys frequently work into their 70s or 80s just because they want to. They just don't want to work as hard as they did when they were a full partner.

• Tavy

He now owns the firm.

Where his photo is makes no difference.

• Maxi

No.......'counsel' means the person who largely makes decisions on all legal, risk and compliance issues affecting the firm, separate from the managing or senior partner....so he independantly owns the new firm where as previously he owned part of the old firm along with other 'partners'

Yes.  Demoted.  A partner in a law firm shares in the profits made by that firm (and losses if it comes to that).   A Partner also has some management responsibilities in the firm.  Counsel is just another lawyer in the firm.  He has no profit sharing rights and no management authority.  [My son is a Partner in a San Francisco law firm.]

• ?

I once had a job where my title was ___ Manager, and I had my own office.  I had no direct reports though, so I was a department of one.  I left and went to another job where my job title was Senior _____.  I went from an office to a cubicle.  But I was now the lead over half a dozen people and my salary went up such that within 2 years I was making almost double what I was at the previous job, and I got better benefits.  So I lost the title of manager and lost my office but gained a lot in return.  So, was I demoted?

Demoted?

Is it even an LLP?  (has partners?)

Based on the little bit of information that we have, he is the SOLE OWNER of the firm and there are no "partners" only employees. 

His placement on the website is meaningless.  Maybe the web designer put it there by mistaken and the guy hasn't fixed it yet.  Maybe he doesn't care.

We all know that it's HIS FIRM.  He is the only name on the door.