Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Can you help me with English please?

The Rose Bowl, which takes places on New Year’s Day, is the oldest postseason collegiate football game in the United States.

1. Collegiate = belonging to a college. Right?

2. What do these words "oldest" and "postseason" mean exactly?

I'm weak in English. Thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • geezer
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

''Collegiate'' means that each team is made up of students from the same college.

''Oldest'' means that these games have been going for the longest .. and so they were ''the first ones'' to be played.

'Post-season'' .. ''Post'' means ''after'' .. so these games take place ''after the usual football season timetable has been completed''.

If they took place ''before'' then they would be ''Pre-season''.

• 2 months ago

Use a dictionary or google it dumbass!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Collegiate = players made up from the same college

Oldest = in this sense, it means the game which is played annually, was first played before any other college bowl game

Post season = after the usual gridiron game has been played

And for info

Football = a game with steroid obsessed jocks, kick once every 5 or so minutes, but spend the majority of the game carrying or throwing an prolate spheroid shaped piece of leather filled with air to the end line while other players, all wearing a phenomenal amount of padding try to basically obliterate them and stop them going forward. I know what you are thinking, a better name that's more descriptive would have been hand ball, gridiron or eggball, but it's America....

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.