Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can the courts order someone to NOT call protective services?

A friend is in a vicious custody battle. Both sides have filed multiple complaints to protective services over the years. (I do not believe my friend's calls significantly outnumber her ex's.) My friend also resorted to calling the police to her own home on one occasion when her son (he's 9) got out of control and threatened violence. 

These calls and complaints all came up in court during her most recent custody hearing. The judge unfortunately sided with her ex and among other incomprehensible orders, he ordered her to NOT call protective services or the cops if it involves her kids. 

Is this really legal? Can a judge order someone to STOP trying to protect their kids (and themselves)? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

courts can do what ever they d*&^ well please...whether its legal or not.  are you sure that was said?  did you actually see the order?

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is and has been done before many times. Courts instead require you to contact the court with concerns.  Better not be making things up. 

• 2 months ago

You have been FLAT OUT LIED to about what the judge ordered.

I don't doubt the judge told your friend that if they continued to ABUSE the system, they would face consequences.

• 2 months ago

I very (very!) much doubt the the judge’s order says that. Have you seen the actual order? It MIGHT say that if she calls them without reasonable cause, that would be contempt of court. She could be jailed or fined for that.

Also, guess what? It will be up to the judge what is “reasonable”.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, apparently the Judge CAN because the Judge HAS.  I would expect the next step will be for her to lose custody, particularly if she can't control a 9-year old. I'm interested in the other "incomprehensible orders" that were issued from the Bench.

• 2 months ago

Yes, that's legal.  Judges can do a lot of things through a court order.  The judge must think that these calls are frivolous and that the kids aren't in danger,

• 2 months ago

your friend needs to consult her solicitor/attorney on this ... it may be time to take the very painful step of declaring the child ungovernable and have him moved to juvenile services permanently

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.