Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can any kind of Court Order prevent someone from leaving home until they are aged 21?

My family are saying that I cannot move out until I am aged 21 as when I was 3 years old, there was a court order that made me legally tied to my grandparents address until then due to my mum and dad splitting up and my mum giving parental control to my grandparents due to her being young when she had me.

I said that surely this could not be the case as I'm 18 years old and that's when your legally allowed to do whatever you want but she says that because she put me down as a vulnerable adult, therefore meaning I must remain at that address under my grandparents care until I'm 21.

I feel that this is because I'm wanting to move out with my boyfriend and my mum doesn't like him so is saying this to try and stop it. I have asked to see the legal paperwork and she has refused.

Can anyone tell me if this is something that she could of enforced?

Thanks

How, at the age of 3, it was determined that you would chea "vulnerable adult" in 15 years is laughable.

In any event, as a former 18 year old who also had the"I am an adult" attitude, I can certainly understand your desire for freedom. However, I am now a seasoned adult and can look back and laugh at how naive and inexperienced 18 year old teenagers really are. 

In any event, you are ready to play house with a bo  now, so go ahead and move out.

First make sure you have a good steady job, because you will have many bills to pay. You need to be SELF sufficient because boyfriends come and go and you may need to support yourself, without the income provided by a boyfriend. Remember, as an adult, you will have to sign a lease and he responsible with it's terms and conditions. 

Usually teenagers are not even considered in a lease situation. So, secure a place before you go upsettingthe people who love you who see that you probably are making a mistake. 

As a mom myself, who raised 2 children, I can tell you with 100 %, accuracy, that I KNEW when my children picked the wrong person to date...every single time.  

But, ignore your mom and you'll end uprealizing she is right. Guaranteed!

It seems to me that the so-called "court order" either does not exist, or does not say what your mother claims.  However, the real issue is that your mother is against your moving in with your boyfriend.  I think you need to sit down and have a calm and honest discussion with your mum as to the problems she sees.  Consider that she might have some valid points.  And what do your grandparents think about all this?

Statistically, the chances of your relationship with your boyfriend lasting are low.  Will you be able to support yourself if you break up?  Will you continue your education?  What will be your exit strategy if you want to break up, but he doesn't?

Such an order would NEVER be issued even if it COULD be legal.

The ONLY real question here is if you are being lied to, or lying.

linkus86Lv: That 'update' would have been 35 years before the alleged court order.

For everyone referring to a 'vulnerable adult', such orders NEVER have a maximum age attached and CAN'T be issued for a THREE YEAR OLD.

The only general reason I can think of, besides the "vulnerable adult" concept is that the court order actually applies to financial support until you are 21 provided that you are living in a home with one of your grandparents.Yes,that's a stretch.

• Tavy

It's nonsense in the U.K.,at 16 you can legally leave home. At 18 you are an adult. There is no court order, ask her to show it to you?

Even if there were, when was this dated, who decided you were vulnerable and why?

Move on with your life.

Yes and No.  The age of majority used to be 21 in UK, but was lowered to 18 in 1969.  Some people, like your parents, may not have gotten the update on the law when you were 3.

any and all court orders are online these days .. search for your own name in the clerk's database.

They can't physically stop you moving out.

If you move out and they take it to court and the court orders you back home, what have you lost?

In reality, provided you are mentally competent and can provide for yourself, it is unlikely any court will try to stop you.

If you cannot provide for yourself and are financially dependent on your parents or grandparents, then it would be unwise to move out.

Well, if you are considered vulnerable, that may mean that you can't think clearly enough to make good decisions.  Of course, a lot of people make bad decisions.  

How well do you know your boyfriend?  I advise you don't move in with him unless you have known him at least 2 years and know his parents and his ex, if he has one. Also, get a job before you move out because you don't want to be dependent on your boyfriend in case things don't work out.  And if he abuses you, you can call the police or move back home. 

I am giving all these cautions because of what happened to my daughter. She was held captive for the better part of a year.  It was bad.  But she wouldn't tell me about it until years later, she was so traumatized.  

That said, you could always move out and see what happens.  Then, if there is any court order saying you can't move out, you will find out.  

I wish I think like you etc I wouldn't have been in any situation then