Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

My mom got fired by discrimination. What can she do?

She's been working at the same position for over 30 years. Then all of a sudden, ever since one particular incident that happened between her and her boss she's now a really terrible worker. Though I know she isn't, she's one of the best and responsible people I know. Her boss has been trying to get her fired before, and now he actually fired her straight up. Apparently everything she does is a complete failure, there's always something bad that comes up, she can't fix anything, and how she is of the the worst supervisors, etc. My mom disagrees, she says she's been doing the same thing for years and years and no one in management complains about her performance. Also, everything "bad" that is going on in her department is either outside of her control or is also happening in other departments but only focuses on her. He is always bringing up problems to her and blaming her for it without providing help of any sort. He'll make the biggest deal out of the smallest problems. Unfortunately for her HR isn't going to be on her side. HR will always believe the bigger boss's story. There's no tangible evidence she could bring either. She's already disadvantaged right from the start. What can she do?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your description sounds like she was fired for just cause and that there was no discrimination at all.

• 2 months ago

How is it discrimination?   Did he make any comments about her race, color, religion,  sexual orientation?    About the only way she could claim discrimination is age,   they want to can her so they do not have to pay her a retirement.  

• 2 months ago

NOTHING you claim supports your accusation of discrimination.

What you say your mom claims is EXACTLY what would be expected if EVERY WORD of what you claim the boss said is 100% true. On the other hand, it is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than what you would expect an actual victim to say.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If she's a supervisor she's probably EXEMPT from a lot of laws protecting normal employees. And if she's working in an US  work-at-will state, she's probably sunk. Get legal advice ASAP.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

1. She can claim she is being fired by discrimination in an attempt to slander her boss, then get sued for it.  She may win, but will have to hire a lawyer to defend herself costing her thousands.

2.  She can find a new job.

FYI  When a boss wants one of their subordinates fired, it occurs.  So to suggest they have tried to get her fired before is an absurd claim.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Without tangible evidence there's probably nothing she can do. 

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

HR is not always on the side of the bigger boss, that simply isn't true.

Doing the same things now that she has for 30 years, that could be part of the issue. Things have changed a great deal in thirty years.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am sorry to say this.  Sound a lot like my mother in law.  Worked at the same company for 30+ years.  All of sudden she was have difficulties doing the basic stuff. 

(2015)

Making lots of errors that was seem like a simple task.Simple work that she did repetitive

Fast forward to 4 years after her forced retirement .  She got diagnosis with dementia.

Today she can not stand up on her own, and not verbal. 

Just saying maybe talk with HR just to see if there was any warnings, write ups, but if you live in a state that I live it would be an at will employment.  Which they don't need a reason to fire her. Maybe she was making those simple errors that became a problem.  Just saying sound a lot like my mother in law story.  Which we were pretty pissed off but didn't know that her brain was dying.

• 2 months ago

Nothing in your story indicates illegal discrimination.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The fact that nothing in your question shows any form of discrimination puts you into the "Believe it or Not" category.  

Unless your mom can prove discrimination of some sort, and she lives in an "At-Will" State there is nothing she can do other than find another job.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.