Big Lots has a couch I like but I question the quality.  It is $399. and I wonder if I should go elsewhere and pay more?

There are no children or pets and it would only have light use.  Has anyone on here had upholstered furniture from Big Lots?

• ?

Big Lots has a couch I like but I question the quality. It is $399. and I wonder if I should go elsewhere and pay more? There are no children or pets and it would ...

• ?

I'd have my doubts on a sofa that inexpensive, but you could be getting a good deal. If you won't be using it often, it makes sense to not spend a lot on it.

• Shay

Big Lots gets the stuff that didn't sell at big name furniture stores.  They get the stuff that is now "out of fashion" when new items arrive at those big name furniture stores.

I have several items that I have purchased at Big Lots and I have not had a problem with any of the items. 

I have a bedroom set (five piece), a recliner, and a kitchen table with six chairs.  All were purchased at Big Lots for a much lower price than similar items at other stores.  I have had all items for at least three years and I am still happy with all items.

Look the item over carefully and make a final choice - but don't let the price fool you.  They do have some items that are very good.

How much you are paying is not always an indication of quality. YOU can find out if it's made well by examining it. Is the upholstery well-sewn and does it have no gaps or puckered areas where the sewing is done badly?  Is the fabric  thick and sturdy? Are the legs heavy enough to support the weight of the frame? Is the frame sturdy and does it feel "shaky" or unstable if you sit on it?  Is the sofa COMFORTABLE?  Are the cushions thick and made properly so they fit together? Does the sofa move or jiggle when you move it?  Turn over the sofa--is there enough webbing to support the seats and cushions? Is it fastened with tacks or staples or simply glued on?

You need to really LOOK at upholstered furniture before buying--and that means moving it around, turning it over and examining the whole piece. If the sofa looks good to you, then $399 is not bad at all--and if you get 5 years out of it for that price, you've done well. 

Big Lots gets stuff that didn't sell elsewhere.  please upend the couch and get the real maker's name

I have seen the furniture in the sales papers stuffed in my mailbox and finally went to look at the merchandise when I was in the area and had nothing better to do.  On a cursory inspection the merchandise LOOKS okay, but it is very cheaply made in what I would generously call "Mobile Home Grade".  The seat cushions are single sided and are either sewn down or velcroed so you cannot flip them over or move them around.  Spend a little bit more and buy some better quality furniture as Ashley, Rooms To Go, or other real furniture store.

• Droopy

Its ok the furniture they sell is Ashley furniture.   With how you've described your house I'd say you'd be fine with it.   I know its not the best furniture but honestly how much better is furniture store stuff.  Probably not much better except you pay more because its a specialty store.  

Only way you're probably gonna get top self stuff is if its custom built. 

• Steve

Ive never owned anything from big lots, but i've wasted thousands buying cheap furniture.... if you're not going to frequently be flopping  down on it. It'll probably be fine. 

If it's something you use constantly.... save and buy much better quality

thats up to you

thats up to you