Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 weeks ago

Should I cut my mother off?!?

My parents are separated. My mother swears I don’t do anything when I’m in college and I have to take online classes. She thinks I lay in bed all day when I’m reality I do homework for most of the day. I have my own apartment near my college and I don’t really have any friends up there but I spend the majority of the day at my desk and doing work and I try to get out and go for a walk sometimes. I have a new boyfriend who I see when I come home and we hangout on weekend because he’s busy during the week with his job and he takes online courses too. I’m still figuring out what I want to do in my life but I do very well in college. There’s not much I can do with corona and I’m visiting home right now so every morning I wake up early and go downstairs and do my homework. I admit I can be lazy sometimes and take breaks but when I came home for winter break I got a job and worked pretty much all day and that’s how I met my boyfriend. Today my mom made a comment saying how this summer when I came home I wasn’t going to be laying around in bed. I got really offended because I don’t do that now and it’s not like I’m in bed all day. We had a huge fight and she kept saying how I’m in my pajamas all day and went off on me and took shots at me. I’m honestly just tired of her toxic behavior. I’m 19 and my mom goes off on me like I’m a woman her age. What do I do?

Assuming you have the funding to continue your education and to pay for your room and board, by all means do as you please. Just don't be that tool who thinks you can treat your financial benefactor badly yet still expect them to pay all your bills. 

thats up to you

For reasons very similar to what you've posted, I have not spoken to my mother in 12 years.

Well, cutting your mother off is a huge thing and you wouldn’t do that. Obviously she is unaware of what you do every day so she is very ignorant. She is presuming that you don’t do anything and that could be because could it be that she is thinking back about her self, when she was young ? I am only guessing here because I don’t know of course. But maybe she has waisted time and she’s afraid you are doing the same. I would say, try to keep, the peace. You know for yourself what you are doing. But you could calmly point out at another day how well you are doing in college , even show her one of your projects. Try to enjoy your time off and keep the balance. But, no, don’t cut of your mother haha, that’s a bit drastic .... Don’t take what she said too personal. https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/teenagers/

• T J

Id cut her off 100%