Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I was wondering if I buy a Netgear modem do I need to pay a monthly fee or do I just need to pay for the modem and router?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

You need to pay for your internet service provider.

• BigE
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First, it is a either a modem or modem/router sometimes called a gateway.

You can tell a modem, it has one in and one out, usually ethernet RJ54.  A modem/router has one in and many out, like WIFI or a bunch of ethernet ports.

So most ISPs will monthly least a modem or gateway to you.  You can replace it with something that will work, after they provision it then you don't pay the lease fee.  It needs to work with their gear, but you usually get back your money in a year.

• 2 months ago

You will need to pay a monthly fee to your ISP (Internet Service Provider), my friend, in order for your modem or router to be able to connect to the internet.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The Internet ProviderService supply the Modem Router as part of their connection fee.

Modern Modems ARE Routers, usually 4 connections plus WiFi.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You still need to pay for internet service.  The modem and router just provides you access.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.