I was wondering if I buy a Netgear modem do I need to pay a monthly fee or do I just need to pay for the modem and router?

You need to pay for your internet service provider.

• BigE

First, it is a either a modem or modem/router sometimes called a gateway.

You can tell a modem, it has one in and one out, usually ethernet RJ54.  A modem/router has one in and many out, like WIFI or a bunch of ethernet ports.

So most ISPs will monthly least a modem or gateway to you.  You can replace it with something that will work, after they provision it then you don't pay the lease fee.  It needs to work with their gear, but you usually get back your money in a year.

You will need to pay a monthly fee to your ISP (Internet Service Provider), my friend, in order for your modem or router to be able to connect to the internet.

The Internet ProviderService supply the Modem Router as part of their connection fee.

Modern Modems ARE Routers, usually 4 connections plus WiFi.

You still need to pay for internet service.  The modem and router just provides you access.