Anonymous

How do I reach out to boss.?

My boss sent me an email on Friday asking me to reach out to him early this week. I guess we wants to talk to me about something I don’t know. But I responded really professionally basically saying will do. But how do I reach out now do I just say along the lines of hi I’m reaching out like you asked or do I just say hi how’s your day going or like...?

This is a completely professional question. Just wondering how to professionally and not awkwardly say “hey what'd you wanna talk about” also pretty sure I’m getting promoted because he said in the previous email that that I have been doing a great job.

Thanks guys. For the record, I got the promotion:)

You don't need to say much except "This is Bill". or whatever your name is. He will take it from there.

• ?

Just say hello I'm sending you an email, reminding you that you asked me to reach out to you earlier this week.

You could say "Hi, I guess you wanted to discuss something with me"

It seems simple enough to call and say that you are following up on his request that you contact him this week. Why would that be awkward?  

• Paul

Just call and say Hi this is Bob (use your name, LOL). He'll probably take control of the conversation right away. If not, just say "You asked me to reach out to you."

These situations always feel awkward. Stifle the awkward emotion and just make the call.

Don't you talk to your boss all the time?

Is it unusual for you to call him?

It's a big leap to go from you are doing a great job to being promoted.  If it happens, congrats.  but that is an unrealistic expectation so don't be disappointed if that is not the reason for the call.

Well, my fist reaction is "why is this in the Singles and Dating section?".

If you are thinking a hook up with your boss is in the offing, I suggest you find a way to avoid it.  These things never end well.

If my boss said something like that to me I'd simply show up at his office door and say "what's up?  You needed me?" and if I thought he had been trying to ... start something I'd be doing my darndest to not notice.  As a woman who has worked in various businesses and trades for over 40 years, I can tell you that screwing around with your boss, or really any coworker that you have to see on a regular basis at work, is a recipe for disaster.  

My late boss used to ... stare at me while rubbing his crotch with his thumb while we were talking.  I wanted to scream at him "Do you think my peripheral vision is so bad I can't SEE that!"  I never said anything - other than that he was a great boss.  I think he really didn't even notice what he was doing but it was SO GROSS that I actually gained 15 lbs to ward it off.  Or rather, I gained 15 lbs and it stopped.  He just passed a few weeks ago and the weight is already melting off ... I didn't even realize that that was probably part of why I let myself gain the weight, to get rid of that attention.

So just pop your head in his office and ask him what's up.  And DON"T get involved with your boss, or any other coworker.  It's too stupid and complex.