Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

With many TV shows being remade today, would a remake of 'Have Gun Will Travel' be a viable television show these days?

Richard Boone was great as Paladin.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

The thing about Westerns is that they are portraying the past and the past hasn't changed -- there is nothing to update.

Of course, it could be made with actors that are more familiar to the younger audience, but that shouldn't matter that much.  Anyone who wants to watch Westerns has an enormous amount of old shows and movies to watch.

Meanwhile, there are shows that are referred to as "space westerns" that have the sensibility of old westerns in that the characters are isolated and need to tame a new land.  So, they could make more of those.  "Firelfy" is a prime example -- and it had many dedicated fans -- but limited success overall.

I don't remember enough about "Have Gun Will Travel" to know whether or not I think it is a better candidate.

Note: I was a fan of the original "Magnum P.I.", but decided not to watch the remake after the first episode.  Same goes for "MacGyver".

• 2 months ago

They basically have, and it's called Mandalorian.

• 2 months ago

Have you seen the latest version of "The Equalizer" with Queen Latifa? It is "Have Gun Will Travel" in a modern context. 

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I would certainly try watching it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

They'd have to change the concept.  Use a transgendered pan-sexual Muslim black person.  "Have Victimhood.  Will Whine."

• 2 months ago

If Sesame Street is now carrying cancel culture warnings, ya gotta know the censors' heads would explode with "Have Gun Will Travel"... or pretty much any cowboy show. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sesame-street-for-adu...

• 2 months ago

The only TV western show that I think would make it as a reboot would be possibly Little House On The Prairie because that is the one that most adults in the 35-49 demographic that advertisers target remember 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

TV Westerns worked for kids who went to grandma's and grandpa's farm for the summer and Christmas. Few kids today will know that indescribable glory.

• 2 months ago

No.Westerns are unrelatable for anyone under 50 i think.

• 2 months ago

He would have to be an african or woman.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.