Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How do I tell my sister about dating safety?

She's 18 years old and I'm 23 years old, and she wants to date someone that is ten/eleven years older than her. I told my parents and they said they'll take to her about it, but I just don't want anything bad to happen to her.

She told me months ago that she hates me, and that she wants me out of her life, so I can't talk to her about it because I know she'll get mad, regardless if we weren't estranged or not. She has no friends and now has a boyfriend that is way older than her, and she's never had a boyfriend to begin with so I know she doesn't know what she's doing.

Should I just not care?

FFP3 mask, latex gloves and anti-bacterial hand wash.

Tell her to bring some condoms on her dates

No need to tell her

• KTJoe

Talk to sis like a friend, start off with that old line (Not trying to tell you what to do), than advise her. Watch guy's treatment of sister, double date aka foursome go to dinner, movies, do couple's stuff.   

He's probably better for her than you, so don't worry about it. Seriously. It's natural for men to love and protect women.

not much you can do about it but its legal since theyre both over 18

Can you believe I have a 41 year old older brother that acts the way your 18 year old sister does??! Lol. So my situation is similar but reversed. I know that you have a right to be concerned so that's commendable. Thing is, no, even though she is acting immature, you can still love her from afar! THAT's if you want. But heck I don't know, the way my brother has been acting towards me tells me that it may take a long time to repair the relationship! Sometimes it is misdirected anger that does it. If you're not on speaking terms, then at least given her some space and respect that. Do your own thing and try to improve your life. That is what I am doing. Good luck with things. 

Source: My 36 going on 37 years of life as an Asian Filipina!

• ?

Guys take a lot longer to grow up than girls on the whole. I always urged my own daughter to date guys older than her, but she ignored me and paid the price for quite a long time. Leave her alone!

You can care, but you need to trust your parents to do give her the counseling you want to provide.  Feel free to discuss any points with your parents that they can bring up with your sister when they talk to her.

Are you her dating boss?  Leave her alone.