Anonymous

When did asking someone out basically become "Do you want to have sex with me?"?

Let's be honest, dating and romance have practically gone out the window entirely - especially for adults in this decade.

People were a little more hushed and discreet about it during the 2010's but we still knew what happened behind closed doors.

Now, whenever I am in the uncomfortable position when I need to reject someone because I am not interested in this kind of dating scene, I pretty much feel like I am replying with "No, I do not want to have sex with you."

In the 2030s, would online dating experiences become "Swipe right to bone?"

As for the person who said "Maybe all I have to offer is sex" it still doesn't mean I need to have sex with you, nor anyone else. Perhaps you need to stop viewing people as meat slabs on the market and people will like you more!

• L

When?  When millennials began taking over everything.  These young adults only get together, with the opposite sex, to have sex because it feels good - not because they love the other person or anything else like that..............they just have sex to have sex and nothing else.

That happened July 4, 1965

• Alan H

There are many occasions when it means nothing of the kind 

• adam

seriously? If I or any man asks any woman out for date its because WE ARE SEXUALLY ATTRACTED to that lady. Period . End of story. So yea Im really wanting to bang her.  Same with any other man. Its ALWAYS been that way. 

• Jerry

Well technically. That IS fundamental  to the relationship.

Of course its not ALL there is  to the relationship 

• ?

I re-entered the dating arena 10 years ago, after my husband died.

I did meet a [literal] couple men like you describe, but certainly not all of them were like that. I don't know which "dating" site you're using, but the 'swipe' one IS mostly for sex.  Even I know that, and I'm 64.

If you're looking to get to know someone in a non-sexual way, join a bowling league, volunteer at an animal shelter, run for board of select-persons in your town, or the zoning committee, or land-use ordinance committee, or a conservation organization. Build model railroads, join a book club, good heavens, we just got through an election cycle, and it never occurred to you to work for your favorite candidate?

By the way, if you're writing in your profile, "I'm looking for something casual, nothing serious" assume that men will make wildly optimistic assumptions about what *that* means. If you're looking to get to know someone over a period of weeks before being intimate, find a way to say that

Sounds like you're using an app that's well known for being only about hookups rather than a dating app/site that allows more space for the development of relationships. 

You must be traveling in a different circle...I do not know that getting to know one another and developing a relationship had gone out of style. 

• Sandy

I guess "coffee" is a date where you actually sit and talk. whereas if you see them any other time of the day, it's a hook up. this generation of young people have no manners and no self respect. the future does not bode well...

There used to be a time you could get laid...and I think it's coming back...if you told a girl that you had a job.