People with unusual names, do you wish you had a normal name?

Its traditional and quite normal for parents to choose a name for their child, but I have always considered it to be rather a foolish thing do.The choices are usually influence by the name of a respected relative or some other  influence, some as decidedly out of date, or even a bit quaint,  but parent never seem to consider whether the child will LIKE the name thrust upon him.  

How could they possible know.?

Whilst he can change his name if he wishes to, he feels stuck with it, and feels  'unloyalw' if he changes it.

Would therefore  delay this naming ceremony until he or she is old enough to choose their own. After all, it themselves that have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

Till then. call him other whatever you wish, but do tell him that he  can alter it to whatever he wishes.

No ,not anymore, but when I was younger I did. What made me grew to love my name was eventually meeting others with my name (regardless of how they spelled it) as I got older, researching more about who I was named after (the singer) and the meaning of my name, and how many nicknames I can have out of my name (Aali, Leah or Liyah, Li Li...).

NO!!!  My Christian name is not a common one; 'Leonard', but wouldn't change it. 

Generally parents used to name their kids after relatives who were favored, like aunts or brothers or even after their mother and father.  This also carried generational heritage down the family lines. I was named after my maternal grandfather and one of my paternal uncles and carry the names proudly... Some might call my name boring but that's their problem. Those with unusual names often had a mom and dad that conceived them while smoking rope or or dropping acid and thought it would be orgasmic to name their child "Sunrise" or "Milkweed".

I have a common surname which drives me crazy, especially as the combination of that with my given name is as equally common, so I usually now go under an assumed name in print and online registrations.

Famous people usually have unique names so everyone knows to whom you are referring.

my parents named me farmer and i could not be happier about it.

My name isn't very weird. It's just an uncommon name (Eden). I don't want to be boring like others who names like Emma or Olivia. It's not creative for the parents to not give more unique names (just not too unique though...).

My name is Sydney.  Not so unusual now but it was unusual for a girl when I was a kid. I didn't like it.  I even went by my middle name for a year but realized having a common name wasn't better so I went back.  I love my name now.

No because I have a name that not too many people have and I like that. You hear too many people names Emma or Sophia . Michael or James.  It’s boring 

My name is Shaylee and I get lots of compliments on it at work from patients and their families, saying how pretty and unique it is (in my area anyhow it is unique) I like it and I don't care what others think, so I will keep my name!

Source(s): ICU Registered nurse!